Finally got some good efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebl

Reaction score
So I normally do 65% - 70%, and I wasn't happy especially when I would read about BobbyM's 85% - 90% and most people with 75%. So it was time to make some changes. In short:

Barley crusher: now I buy bulk grains, crush at .038", and crush fresh.
Braided Manifold: I used to use a cpvc with slots. Took all day to clear runnings.
5.2: not sure how it works, but my mash used to be 5.8 - 6.0 and now its spot on at 5.2
BobbyM's Double Batch Sparge: double equal infusions, no mash out. Easy, and works

Now I'm hitting 80% on the last 4 batches. My braid needs some work: I just crimped the end and didn't install an end plug. It floats up and leaves about a gallon of wort in the tun.

I hope after fixing my braid I could hit 85%.

It's good to be seeing improving brewing results.

That is really good. I only have done partial mashes. Now I have two five gallon buckets set up like the joy of home brewing shows and a chest cooler. It seems, so far, I get ~75%. Using a strainer on the stove it was only 60%. 15% by a $4.98 drilled bucket seems like a good deal!

I also noticed a marked improvement from the 69% i got from the crush by AHS. I ordered a barleycrusher and set the gap to .035 and also use a SS braid lauter tun. since then i average 85 to 87 % pre boil efficiency. the crush seems to make all the difference. Mill your own!

Back