Final Yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg75

Reaction score
I think this thing's ready to go, but I just thought I'd share a photo for other opinions. Like I said in previous posts, there was no krausening, but there is fermenting going on, and a nice sediment bed in the flask.

100_2014Medium.jpg

I think it's all ready to pitch. Any thoughts?

boo boo said:
Not much if you are doing a lager and I generally pitch more than that for an ale.

What are you saying? That it needs more time? Or that you typically make bigger starters? I am doing an ale by the way, with a high target OG (1.064)

I decided to give the starter a little more time, and I made arrangements to have Tuesday afternoon free to finally brew this batch. I figure I'd give the starter another 24 hours, and hopefully things will become more clear to me by then. Palmer's guide suggests having a starter going for a minimum of 4 days before brewing, so I guess I'll be closer to that guidline.

Me, I make larger starters. You should bump it a little more in my opinion, but keep in mind that the liquid you are showing us still has yeast in suspension.
You will be ok if you just go ahead and pitch what you have, but your lag time will be a little faster pitching a larger starter.

homebrewer_99 said:
I did my starter yesterday afternoon and it was in kreusen last night.:D

The amount of time you need depends on how old the yeast is, temp, gravity, etc.;)

I followed the Austin Homebrew instructions to the tee. The yeast is less than two weeks old, the temperature was about right (well, maybe a little cool, but I didn't have a thermometer to reach far enough into the flask), etc. I never bothered to check the OG, but I think it is supposed to be around 1.040 per AHBS instructions.

I think I'm going to take boo boo's advice and build a bigger starter next time around.

Back