Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Experiment with sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 05:27 AM   #1
landhoney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Experiment with sugar?

I bought some Belgian Candi Syrup Dark with the intent of doing an experiment similar to the one on basicbrewingradio.com. My own candy syrup creation(which has worked well through multiple batches) vs. the $8.95 stuff. Now I'm thinking of just doing a brew with the bought stuff and seeing how it turns out. What do you guys think? I guess I should do it, but if I do what recipe and what yeast? Maybe just a simple belgian ale, something that will "show off" the differences between the two sugars. I need to listen to the podcast again, I don't even remember what their results were?
P.S. If you have a recipe suggestion-no tripel or duppel recipes, I'm up to my ears in them.....you want some?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 05:29 AM   #2
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Sorry, technique would be to split the boil into two pots and add the two different sugars into their respective batches, then pitch same yeast, ferment at same temp ,etc.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:48 AM   #3
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I really can not wait to hear the results. I would think you would be stuck doing a dubbel with the dark candy syrup. You can always send me some, I will drink it. My next brew is going to be that Rochefort clone I posted up. So im wondering if its worth the money.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I added 4 ounces of lactose in my lastest batch. I was trying to get the sweetness up a notch or two. Won't be ready for about another month. Really curious as to what difference the lactose will make when compared to another exact same batch without the lactose added.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It would be interesting to hear another split batch sugar experiment. IIRC from what I have seen online most folks say there is more of a taste difference when you get into the dark candi sugar/syrups.

I just cooked up a batch of invert candi sugar this past weekend for my Belgian style strong ale that I will be brewing soon.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
I really can not wait to hear the results. I would think you would be stuck doing a dubbel with the dark candy syrup. You can always send me some, I will drink it. My next brew is going to be that Rochefort clone I posted up. So im wondering if its worth the money.
I'm sure the dark sugar will darken the color of the brew, but I think doing just a belgian pale ale will work best. Something without too much maltiness and darker/roasty grains. I feel like the simpler the recipe/taste the more the taste difference in the sugar will be exhibited. Make sense?

Old 06-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #7
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Como estan b1tches! The experiment is on! Tonights top story: The sewers run red with Burgundy's blood!

74%Belgian Pils
14%Munich
4%Aromatic
7.5%Sugar(the two different kinds)
Saaz @ 60 & 15min
OG:1.059
Yeast: WLP540-Abbey IV
Boil 60min, then split and boiled an additional 10min with different sugars.

What do you think? Simple grain bill, but not too simple to be un-belgian-like. Looking like Sunday will be the day. The yeast was chosen because I have it and haven't used it yet. No spices, don't want to detract. Any suggestions?
I just listened to the BBR belgian sugar experiment again, and they really loved the Belgian Candi Syrup Dark. Good news is I'm only using a 1/3rd of it for this, so if its really great I'll have enough to do another batch of something.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #8
DeadYetiBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
Como estan b1tches! The experiment is on! Tonights top story: The sewers run red with Burgundy's blood!

74%Belgian Pils
14%Munich
4%Aromatic
7.5%Sugar(the two different kinds)
Saaz @ 60 & 15min
OG:1.059
Yeast: WLP540-Abbey IV
Boil 60min, then split and boiled an additional 10min with different sugars.

What do you think? Simple grain bill, but not too simple to be un-belgian-like. Looking like Sunday will be the day. The yeast was chosen because I have it and haven't used it yet. No spices, don't want to detract. Any suggestions?
I just listened to the BBR belgian sugar experiment again, and they really loved the Belgian Candi Syrup Dark. Good news is I'm only using a 1/3rd of it for this, so if its really great I'll have enough to do another batch of something.
You should also have a third and possibly a fourth, one as a control (what the beer tastes like with neither), and one with equal amounts of both. It's possible one has characteristics the other doesn't, and they might work together to produce something else.

As for the grain bill, KISS, i think that'd be a great test bill....

Old 06-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #9
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I like using some sugar now and again, and like yourself make my own using a stovetop inversion process. It really does work wonders for the body and some of the flavor. Have fun!

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #10
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYetiBrew
You should also have a third and possibly a fourth, one as a control (what the beer tastes like with neither), and one with equal amounts of both. It's possible one has characteristics the other doesn't, and they might work together to produce something else.
As for the grain bill, KISS, i think that'd be a great test bill....
Ideally yes. But the point is: to experiment to see the diference between the two. Most belgians I've seen(and brewed) have some sugar, so brewing w/o might be helpful but wouldn't be real life. And as far as blending the two, what if I just blended a little at bottling time and bottled those, and labeled seprately?
P.S. At the end of the BBR podcast the guy that did the experiment said he did blend in anothr batch and like the results.

Quick Reply