Esspresso Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolznrofls

Reaction score
A good buddy of mine came to me with a great idea ..he has some nice espresso beans laying around and figure we need to put them in a stout..Im thinking we are gonna start with a partial extract kit..I just dont know what stout kit to buy..my lhbs has a dry irish stout, oatmeal stout, and a milk stout..I also dont know what brewing method to use for the espresso...or when to add it...I have read alot about coffee in stouts needing cold water brewed in a french press but what about espresso. .oh the things that keep me awake at night...lmao Cheers!

I have brewed the oatmeal stout kit a few months ago..added about 4 oz of lactose and a bag of brewers best coco nibs and it came out w onderfull..my best brew yet..im looking for same really tastey results

Oatmeal. I just did one and added 1 cup fresh ground espresso cold brewed in water. I think it was about 24 ounces of water. Filtered out grounds and poured into stout. Very strong espresso flavor, but very good. Next time I will add beans yo secondary and see how it does.

Im still doing partial extract myself..but a little birdie told me Santa is bringing me all grain equipment for christmas :).

Do you want recipe? I like it. It does not use black patent in it to achieve color. Some of my early ones had too much in it and led to some astringency or harsh flavor. I also use a British ale yeast which leaves some fruitiness.

I usually do oatmeal when adding coffee. I add the coffee to the kettle at flameout, I also use a bazooka screen in my boil kettle and this helps to filter the grounds out of the wort.

8 lbs 2 row
.75 lbs chocolate
.75 lbs roasted barley
.75 Munich
.25 crystal 60
1lb flaked oats.

SG 1.056
Fg 1.018 or so.

Hops should be something you like that is balanced. Tettnang, cluster, fuggles, EKG. You do not want hops to overpower. If you want more stout and espresso aroma then do not put anything in but bittering additions. I use 1 oz at 60 and add .25-.5 oz at 30 minutes. I do not add aroma. I can easily dry hop if I think I need some aroma added to it after espresso.

That is a base oatmeal stout. I did not add flaked barley carapils or flaked wheat and I have a feeling I should have since I added espresso. You could add 1/2-1 pound to increase head retension. It is based on a recipe from lhbs, but their recipe was only 1.046. I just upped 2 row to get it to where I wanted it. My old recipe had black patent added to it, but too much. I like this version better

You may use 6-8 lbs dme in place of 2 row. You shouldn't need any 2 row for the partial mash but I usually would when I did partial mash. I mashed at 156. There are recipe assistants where you can play with the dme amt to get it to where you want.

I cold brewed the coffee by putting into a sanitized container and leaving in fridge for 24 hours. I then used an old sheer curtain to filter and added to secondary. I also took a bean and put it in my bitter and left it in fridge. Great taste in 4-5 days. You could put whole beans in muslin bag and add it to fermenter. I used cold brewed because beer was in glass fermenter.

Last edited:
I have only used coffee once (last week), came out great.

I'd suggest using a Robust Porter - limited experience, but goes great.

I made a Smoked Porter (Chocolate malt, dark Crystal and Beechwood smoked malt - no black or roast). Beer turned out great with a lot of smoke presence. I bottled 4 gallons, but took 2.5 gallons to add some oak, rum and vanilla. The vanilla and oak (second use of the oak) had been steeping in the rum for 6 months.

6 days before bottling, I tossed in 1 ozs of coffee beans (whole) into the 2.5 gallons. Bottled today. Tasted great. I could not taste the smoke, oak, vanilla or rum. Tasted like a very smooth coffee drink. Certainly couldn't tell it was 7.5% abv.

Back