Dry Hopping in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISUBrew79

Reaction score
I brewed an all-grain APA on Monday. I did a 3 gallon batch and it has been bubbling away in a 5 gallon carboy. I don't have a 3 gallon carboy to use as a secondary for this batch. I'd like to dry hop it with some Cascade. Can I just add hops to the primary once fermentation slows and then bottle after a week or two in the primary, or do I need to acquire a 3 gallon carboy and rack the beer into it over the hops?

I don't secondary, and I just throw my hops in the primary when fermentation is complete ~ 10 days. Sometimes I'll give it a gentle swirl to help the hops soak up the beer. It makes some interesting racking when I bottle, but I believe you lose the same amount of beer when you secondary anyway. Go for it.

I believe you can dry hop in the primary once active fermentation is complete, I don't see a reason not to. As far as making it interesting racking, look into a hop bag or an infuser. that may make life a little easier.:D

Back