DERMS vs RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostboysbrew

Reaction score
Greetins all,

So I have been researching alot on brewing systems, and I feel like an idiot for not being able to understand the difference between a DERMS (Direct Exchange Recirculating Mash System) and a RIMS (Recirculation Infusion Mash System) brewing system. Could someone please explain the difference?? What are typical micro breweries???

Greetins all,

So I have been researching alot on brewing systems, and I feel like an idiot for not being able to understand the difference between a DERMS (Direct Exchange Recirculating Mash System) and a RIMS (Recirculation Infusion Mash System) brewing system. Could someone please explain the difference??

I've never heard the term DERMS. Did you mean HERMS? (Heat Exchanger Recirculating Mash System). Both of these systems take wort out of the mash, heat it up, and send it back into the MLT.

The difference is whether you are directly applying heat to the wort (RIMS) or whether you are using a heat exchanger to apply heat to the wort (HERMS).

What are typical micro breweries???
The onces I've toured use neither HERMS nor RIMS. The have very well insulated mash tuns, and sometimes a steam jacket surrounding the MLT.

Back