Dead Yeastys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixie

Reaction score
So the other day I took a wheat beer off of its California ale yeast cake. This beer was to be the starter for my Barleywine I was planning to make. I plan to pitch on the cake because my O.G. is set at 1.100, and I want a HUGE starter, so I thought this would be the best plan. My problem is that i took my wheat of the cake a few days earlier(4 to be exact) than I could brew.(Because I am an Idiot!) I left enough beer to cover the yeast cake and immediately covered the carboy with aluminum foil and wrapped a rubber band around it, the cheap man's airlock! I was wondering If my little yeastys will survive in this kind of environment, or are they long dead. :confused:

It might now be a bad idea to essentially make a starter liquid to toss in there with some sugars (DME or LME) to keep the yeasts happy. You are probably fine as is though, as long as sanitation is ok and the yeasts are submerged

It might now be a bad idea to essentially make a starter liquid to toss in there with some sugars (DME or LME) to keep the yeasts happy. You are probably fine as is though, as long as sanitation is ok and the yeasts are submerged

...and the temps aren't too high.

the temps are around 65- 70 so I think I will be ok that department. I also double checked to make sure the yeastys where submerged. Thanks for the reassurance! I am making my barleywine tomorrow, with brewpastors water to barleywine recipe. Wish me luck!

Back