Cooking outside / Sun attack!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
Is it ok to do full boils in direct sunlight? I wanted to do one out off my patio but its not covered!

Thanks!

On Basic Brewing Radio I think they said 'in general, if you have an umbrella your beer should too.' However, that may have just been a precaution... my last brewday my pot was in the shade for mashing and cleanup but not for boil (of course) and it tastes fine.

That doesn't really make sense, as the boil is isomerizing those alpha acids, but if it works it works... (and I admit I love talking about 'isomerized alpha acids' because it makes me feel smart :))

use some sunscreen ...

I brewed in my driveway on Sunday pouring rain I just used a cheap 59$ 10x10 off brand EZ-UP from Kmart, just be carefull when extending it the legs are very weak.Mine got all bent to hell thats what I get trying to do it myself.

I returned it and got a 9x12 real EZ-UP for like 40 bucks more.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the answers! I do need to pick up a pop-up canopy for sure!

Back