New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!

View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 75 11.00%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.93%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.59%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 510 74.78%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 73 10.70%
Voters: 682. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #531
flananuts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

WortMonger, thanks for the tips. I just mashed in at 6am and I'm looking forward to this beer when finished. I want to see what this beer tastes like when compared side by side. I'm going to search the thread on when and what temperature I should do the D rest at, but this group of closed pressure fermenters rock! My 5 year old just came down the stairs to the basment and yelled, boy that smells good!

Happy Sunday

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #532
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

LOL, yep. My 7 & 3 yr olds came home with their momma one day when I was just finishing up my mash. They were all about how good it smelled. Then, I started the boil and added hops. They no longer liked the smell! LOL.

Your D-rest is normally 5-10 degrees higher than your fermentation temperature, and this group does ROCK!!!!

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 11-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #533
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Timer set to turn beer machine on at 5am, mashed in 22lbs of grain with a thicker mash than normal, HERM'D away for 75 minutes until iodine test shows total conversion, fly sparged until I had 12gal in the kettle, 60 minute boil on, cleaned out Mash Tun and started Oxyclean in Tun, boil down turn heat exchanger into cool mode, top up to 11 gallons from boil off, split batch into pressure fermenter for Black Lager and Carboy for Black Ale, recirculate oxyclean in heat exchanger, then iodophor solution following, beer machine put away before noon.

Huge thanks again for the off topic answers on lager fermentation and apologies in advance for my little Mastercard moment.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:23 AM   #534
WortMonger

Recipes 

Yep, so I'm sick but decided to brew anyways. I got a semi-stuck sparge, which produced a brilliantly clear wort run-off. However, this started me on the track for collecting and just boiling the next day. So, I started the boil this morning and everything went great. Topped up with pre-boiled water that had cooled to get my temperature down a little faster, and then chilled to 65*F. I pitched the yeast in my lauter grant during my recirculation once I was at temperature, then knocked out to my primary keg. Sealed it up, rolled it into the house, and tapped it with my spunding valve. I am very curious to see how fast this rocket takes off!!!

I have to say, going this slow for the run-off wasn't fun, but man that is the cleanest wort I have ever had. This is going to be a good one.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #535
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just did the calculation on my efficiency and overshot my OG by a full point. Target OG 1.049 - actual OG 1.06. I think this is due to the thicker mash in the HERM. My Mash in volume was 1.125 qt per pound So it was a slower looking recirculation which had me a bit concerned but I rolled with it. I also ramped the recirculation up to 182 and then fly sparged. I think a combination of those gave me an 86% efficiency when I built my grain bill on a 70% efficiency.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #536
WortMonger

Recipes 

Mine took off like a rocket! This morning I was leaving for work and had to set the pressure on my SV to 10 psi. It was showing 16 and I didn't want to release down to 5 psi that fast, since I have a full fermenter. I will set it at 5 after work, then set it for carbonation tomorrow before I leave for work. If I don't hurry and do this I might finish before I have my wanted carbonation. This beer is going to finish fast, I can tell. I might even just leave it at 10 and up it tomorrow. I don't see what lowering it would do since growth has to be done/almost done anyways. God I love how easy this is!

Old 11-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #537
WortMonger

Recipes 

Wow, I came home to the beer above 15 psi, even though the SV was set to 10 psi. There was about an oz of yeast all around the floor around the keg. I put a maxi pad underneath the pressure outlet to catch the slow drip that happens every now and then. LOL, I know, funny!!! This beer smells fantastic fermenting and I am thinking about jacking the pressure up to 30 psi tonight. I have a feeling this beer will be done with primary tomorrow sometime and I don't want to miss out on the free carbonation and time it frees up. I'm not worried about the yeast. They are for sure in high krausen and ready to eat everything they can get their mitts on.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:22 AM   #538
cmuench
Recipes 

My Scottish 80 made it up to 32 psi @ 65 degrees. I'm crash cooling now for the next week. Beersmith calculates the pressure will be 7.75 at 33 degrees. Does that seem right? Will it drop that much?

So far I'm impressed with the ease of this technique. Next batch I'm doing with foam control to keep my fridge clean. Other than that rock solid!!

Old 11-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #539
WortMonger

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmuench
My Scottish 80 made it up to 32 psi @ 65 degrees. I'm crash cooling now for the next week. Beersmith calculates the pressure will be 7.75 at 33 degrees. Does that seem right? Will it drop that much?

So far I'm impressed with the ease of this technique. Next batch I'm doing with foam control to keep my fridge clean. Other than that rock solid!!
What volumes of CO2 do you want? According to style, you should want between 1.5 volumes to 2.3 volumes of carbonation. This is equivalent to 0.00 psi to 6.79 psi respectively at 33*F, according to BeerSmith. I'm getting different numbers from you on BeerSmith??? I usually have the pressure I want before crash cooling since getting a SV that can handle the higher pressures at higher temperature (old one only went to 20 psi release), then I just un-tap and let her chill for a week before re-tapping prior to transfer. I have never had BeerSmith say zero before, and your 7.75 is higher than the 2.3 volumes at 33*F on my software so I am very confused which one of us is right. Are you shooting for 2.3 volumes or higher?

Old 11-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #540
WortMonger

Recipes 

Yay, my ferment seems to be done releasing pressure. Of course I won't really know without a sample, but I trust by this Sunday I can assume full attenuation. I will leave it set at 30 psi and 70-72*F and un-tap it Monday morning. Then I will roll the keg every day for another week, take a taste sample, then roll it to the garage where it is a cool 60ish*F for another week before transferring it to my serving kegs. This might actually be drinkable by Thanksgiving day!!!!! I have had luck before with a 3 week grain-to-glass, maybe I will get lucky again. This was one ferocious ferment for sure! If the beer taste as good as it smells, I am sold on dry yeast.

Quick Reply