Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!
View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 83 11.22%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.70%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.54%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 553 74.73%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 80 10.81%
Voters: 740. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 02:46 AM   #101
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Looks like I cannot attach anything to posts anymore. Might be due to my expired subscription.

I'll have to update the Kraeusen article anyway and will be posting the spreadsheet with that. The spreadsheet needs lots of explaining anyway.

Kai

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #102
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
WBC,

The traditional method would slowly lower the temp to lagering after you added the Kraeusen. I tried this many times, but the fermentation always slowed down to much and I was left with to much residual sugar at the end. That's why I now wait until only enough sugar is left that I know will be consumed during lagering.

Kai
Kai,

Rather than lowering right away I would think that you should give the yeast a chance to get used to their new environment and work on the sugars you added and when the pressure is up there (2 to 4 days @ 15 PSI) lower 2-4 F a day until lager temperature is reached. Is this something you tried already?

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 03-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #103
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC
Rather than lowering right away I would think that you should give the yeast a chance to get used to their new environment and work on the sugars you added and when the pressure is up there (2 to 4 days @ 15 PSI) lower 2-4 F a day until lager temperature is reached. Is this something you tried already?
I tried this. But it is really difficult to keep the yeast working well enough. At least the WY2206 that I'm currently using.

Kai

Old 03-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #104
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
I tried this. But it is really difficult to keep the yeast working well enough. At least the WY2206 that I'm currently using.

Kai
What temperature?

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)

Old 03-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #105
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC
What temperature?
somewhere between 32 and 36 *C. With the current method, where I come close to the FG before lagering, I noticed that I get expect about 0.05 - 0.1 *P extract reduction per month at 34 *C. But for the classic method you want the yeast to do much more than that.

Kai

Old 03-31-2008, 12:20 AM   #106
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I think the yeast strain is really important and so maybe we need to find a strain that works well when krausening is employed. I know some commercial brewers near me and so I will consult them about krausening. They may have done it and maybe not.

Cheers,
WBC

Old 03-31-2008, 03:31 PM   #107
Kaiser

Recipes 

I recently found that low flocculating yeast strains work well for the classic way of cold fermentation. The only low flocculator I know if is the Danish lager yeast that is sold by WYeast. I still have to get my hands onto that.

Kai

Old 04-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #108
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well guys, today is the transfer day. I am sanitizing three 1/6 bbl Sankes right now in Star-San and have my bathroom floor scale ready to weigh these bad boys out. Only thing I did wrong at this point was not controlling the pressure the whole way through. I got to much carbonation during the last part of fermentation when the pressure needed to be above my control ability. I am ordering the same parts I told Poindexter about and then I should not have this problem arise again. Dang cheap-o back pressure relief valve and rusty pressure gauge. They need to be retired.

Everything else looks, smells, and tastes great so far. I am so happy with this process and equipment. Next batch is a practice run triple decoction pitched on a post washed cake. I am planning on pressure canner no-stir type of decoction and I thought it would be nice to brew the same batch back to back to really see the comparison first hand. I know it is an ale, but I want to get this down for my future bigger lagers. I will probably only use a single or double for any other decocted beers, but this over emphasizes the difference between these two ales right now for me. Ok, and it is going to be a ton of fun and take all day. After watching Kaiser's video, my brain went haywire and I just had to max my system out, lol. Well, I am off to transfer beer now. Just two more weeks till I am drinking this fine mama-jama.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 04-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #109
Kaiser

Recipes 

I'm not sure if I mentioned that, but when harvesting yeas from a pressurized fermenter, you should de-pressurize the yeast slowly. Otherwise many of them will simply explode b/c the CO2 comes out of solution inside the cells.

BTW, I should soon be able to release the article about priming with Kraeusen.

Kai

Old 04-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #110
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, I guess this will be an experiment then. I dumped all the pressure out of my fermenter after transferring.

I am happy to announce that I got more than 12 gallons end batch BIG SMILE!!!!! It is going to be a pretty beer and it has cleaned up taste-wise as of yesterday, so I am pretty stoked to try it after a week warm. I don't know who it was that talked about that but I have done it and liked the beers better. They are drinkable 3 weeks grain to glass, but that extra week at room temperature before the kegerator just does something to my ale. I suppose with my lager I will just let the fermenter warm a little bit and then crash cool and transfer for lagering.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Quick Reply