Clarity of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerly

Reaction score
I've never been one to care about how clear my beer is. None of the other people that drink the beer I brew seem to care either. But, for some reason now, a clearer beer is appealing to me.

Do any of the methods used to clear beer affect the taste at all? I would try some of the methods if there is no trade off for the taste. Do some affect it more than others?

I get damn clear beer, even from extract kits, using nothing more than irish moss in the last 15 mins of the boil, and a secondary to help particulate matter drop out of suspension.

You may also want to look into Super Moss....its a bit better then Irish Moss but does the same thing essentially and a bit more concentrated.

I've used Irish Moss in my AG's and Isinglass Finnings in my extracts and also when the AG's need a bit more clearing.

I haven't noticed any off flavours from either, even considering Isinglass is made from fish bladders!

Only clarifying agent I've used is KC SuperKleer Finings. Used them to clear up a pumpkin ale that was perpetually cloudy due to all the pumpkin solids. Worked like a charm in a matter of days. Only downside is you can't serve that batch to anyone who's allergic to shellfish. But, then again, who would be friends with anyone like that?

Gelatin works well, I'm told...I have a few bottles of it downstairs. The ultimate clarifier, though, is lagering/cold-conditioning. Works like a charm.

All in all, you can never expect a level of clarity such as that that is achieved by large/craft breweries. They use plate filters, etc., which strips out the yeast and, some argue, a portion of the flavor. But you can get close. A combo of finings and lagering will yield the best results. But don't sweat it too much...it'll drive you crazy, and it's not worth it.

Yeah, I don't care too much about it. It might be nice to be drinking a better looking beer. I was just wondering if there was a trade off for taste, which it sounds like there isn't a noticable one. Putting some irish moss in the boil or the gelatin thing sounds easy enough, that I might as well do it.

If its not a hassle then why not.

Thanks for the input.

How would you guys suggest using gelatin? I have read to use anything from the full box of Knox gelatin to only a tablespoon in a cup of warm water. Any thoughts?

Greg

All my beers seem to clear on their own. No moss, no gelatin, nothing. Are you kegging? Whether you do or not, cold crashing your carboy 3 days before kegging/bottling will help a lot I suspect. Mine just clears in the keg over a week or two.

I am able to read text through my brass ale when I hold the pint up to the screen so I guess the beer is pretty clear. No irish moss, just a few weeks sitting in bottles at 43 degrees..

malkore said:
I get damn clear beer, even from extract kits, using nothing more than irish moss in the last 15 mins of the boil, and a secondary to help particulate matter drop out of suspension.

Ditto. I force carb and cold condition.

SW Brewer said:
I bottle, and don't have the facilities to cold condition ... the bottles.

I find that beer is much better when cold. Put those bottles in the fridge... :D

I use Irish moss religiously but really I think that the week at 36 f does more than the moss ever will.

I put an envelope of Knox unflavored gelatin in a cup of water, warmed it in the microwave, and dumped it into my Ed Wort Stone IPA attempt. It went from totally cloudy to extremely clear tonight. I am sold on this method of clarifying beers!

Greg

pldoolittle said:
I find that beer is much better when cold. Put those bottles in the fridge... :D
I find that beer is much better when not cold. Keep the bottles away from the fridge... :D
Seriously, some ales are better drunk at cellar temperatures, which prevents getting a chill haze.

-a.

All my extract and PM brews have turned out exceptionally clear, just by letting them sit in the bottle. My basement is about 60F most of the year, and I've never had a cloudy beer, not even a wheat!

I put an envelope of Knox unflavored gelatin in a cup of water, warmed it in the microwave, and dumped it into my Ed Wort Stone IPA attempt. It went from totally cloudy to extremely clear tonight. I am sold on this method of clarifying beers!

Whoa, it works that well? I need pics to prove :)

Latest posts

Back