Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cilantro Beer??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
mreatman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cilantro Beer??

So I was thinking of making a mexican beer with a hint of Cilantro to it. My plan was to use some filtered water and put it in a cleaned out milk jug or something. After that I was thinking of chopping up/mashing the cilantro and and putting some in each of the jugs so that the flavor will seep out chello style, then straining. From this i was thinking of brewing, with extract. How's anyone tried something like this or used cilantro in a beer??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I've been thinking about this as well. I think it might be better to use dried and crushed Coriander, the seed from the cilantro plant. It has a slightly diferent flavor, but very similar and I think you would avoid the potential vegetal flavors that just adding sprigs of cilantro might add.

I was also thinking that a cilantro lemongrass wheat beer might be good. I really like the cilantro lemongrass combination in Thai foods.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hop back style cilantro infusion? You could catch the aroma possibly just before you cool? You could make salsa beer; jalepenos go well in beer too; the pizza beer dude seems to be doing ok.

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelanfish View Post
I've been thinking about this as well. I think it might be better to use dried and crushed Coriander, the seed from the cilantro plant. It has a slightly diferent flavor, but very similar and I think you would avoid the potential vegetal flavors that just adding sprigs of cilantro might add.
I don't think coriander tastes that similar to cilantro, personally.

I'd try to extract the flavors of the cilantro and add that. I'm not sure if you could do it with extract or if you'd need to steam distill it, but both are easy to do at home. To extract with alcohol, just place the cilantro in with some vodka for a couple weeks, then strain off. To steam distill, place in a large pot (your kettle would probably well), with some water and a heatproof bowl. Then place the lid from that pot upside down over top with something cold on top of it - ice or something, so that it catches the steam, condenses it, then causes it to drip back into the center of the pot, where it's caught by the bowl.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
Shawn Hargreaves
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'd go with vodka for this - that way you get both flavor out of the herb and also have the side benefit of thoroughly sterilizing it. Plus you can add that at bottling time, so you can taste as you add to make sure you get the amount right!

Let us know how this turns out - I'm curious!

Old 03-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
geodave
Recipes 

Not too helpful a comment I'm afraid, but be aware that some percentage of the population is genetically predisposed to think cilantro tastes like rank, soapy crap =) I only mention it because I'm part of that minority.

Having said that, don't think I'm hacking on your plan, it sounds damned creative and I hope you find great success with it; just don't be discouraged if a friend recoils upon trying it, it's just our cruddy genes!

Old 03-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
G-E-R-M-A-N
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodave View Post
Not too helpful a comment I'm afraid, but be aware that some percentage of the population is genetically predisposed to think cilantro tastes like rank, soapy crap =) I only mention it because I'm part of that minority.

Having said that, don't think I'm hacking on your plan, it sounds damned creative and I hope you find great success with it; just don't be discouraged if a friend recoils upon trying it, it's just our cruddy genes!
Are you serious? soapy crap? Cut off your tongue bro!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
mreatman
Recipes 

one of my friends who is a chef recommended just steeping it in the last few minutes of the boil sort of like if you were trying to make a vegetable stock. That way there will a subtle hint of cilantro. I'm probably gonna use some coriander to balance it out b/c yeah i don't think coriander taste/smells like cilantro.

Also I was thinking of making this cerveza with a dos equis sort of feel with some solid amber malt extract/ and probably a light DME of some kind? what do you think?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreatman View Post
Also I was thinking of making this cerveza with a dos equis sort of feel with some solid amber malt extract/ and probably a light DME of some kind? what do you think?
Can you lager?

If not, use a neutral ale yeast, like WLP001 or S-05 (04? I always forget).

Old 03-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'd do some experimentation on finished beer first. You might be able to just secondary with it.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Quick Reply