Can I "lager" in the low 50's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timOD

Reaction score
I'm looking into brewing my first lager, but I don't have the money or equipment to properly lager. I've found the sump pump closet in my basement remains a pretty constant 52 degrees. I figure thats good for the primary fermentation. Is there any benefit to a long "lager" period if I can only do it at 52 degrees?

You can ferment in the low 50's, not lager. Lagering generally takes place in the mid 30's.

Doesn't an Oktoberfest only stay at 52*F until it's ready?

Well, you can ferment it at 52, depending on yeast strain. I know that before refrigeration, it probably didn't get much cooler than that while being stored. ("lager" means "to store")

But since refrigeration, I would say that most brewers will try to lager as cold as possible, near freezing, for the entire lagering period.

Kaiser has a great write up on lagers, here: http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fermenting_Lagers

Back