Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > brewing with maker's mark

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #21
Prymal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you do some reading here in the forum you will find that many/most home brewers don't use a secondary fermentation at all. Obviously in the case of barrel aging you are using the barrel as a secondary to add flavor but I am pretty sure the general consensus would be to complete the fermentation in primary, letting the yeast cake clean up any off flavors then transfer the beer into the barrel for flavoring purposes.

Desert Basin Brewery
Future Brews:
Fermenting: Desert Basin Pale Ale, Ninkasi Tricerihops Clone
Bottled: Desert Knight RIS, Scottish Winter Warmer
Kegged: Cleaning out the closet Porter
Gallons Brewed 2013: 15
Gallons Brewed 2012: 90.0
Gallons Brewed 2011: 77.5

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #22
aseg
Recipes 

+1 I would have left it in primary for at minimum 2 weeks, and most likely 3 weeks because of how big this beer is.

Your plan has always been to leave it in the barrel for quite some time though, so the only way to compress your timeline is to shrink time in primary. I am really eager to hear how it comes out!

Old 02-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #23
ThreeSheetsBrewing
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Be careful with adding cherries to your bottles. You'll need to account for the sugar there to avoid bottle bombs.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:46 AM   #24
KurtisCummings
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is a little down the road, but definitely worth mentioning - to preserve that barrel after you are done using it, fill it up with some Nitrogen gas. This is what we do at the winery I work it, and it works pretty well. An untreated empty barrel will quickly begin to produce nasty molds and bacteria. I would even fill it up with some 155 deg. water to kill off any bacteria that may be lurking prior to the nitrogen fill.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:00 AM   #25
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Northern Brewer home brew supply has a porter that recommends makers mark. I want to sub that out with cruzan black strap as I am more of a rummy! and maybe use some of their "Pirate spices"... make my own "Shiver Me Timbers" porter

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 02-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #26
the_sloth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I appreciate all the comments and reco's I am getting here. Sampled the worth this weekend, it is quite tasty, very bourbon like and has the flavors i am looking to impart in the beer. I actually like the taste so much i have been considering not carbonating it and drinking it straight out of the barrel!
maybe i will bottle with the cherries and what ever carbination i get from them will be how much it gets carbonated.
I may have transferred too soon in some of your opinions yet from sampling I am picking up no ill effects, the beer is tasting quite like I expected it to. just not oakie enough yet.....

Old 02-07-2012, 04:56 AM   #27
BrewMonster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sloth View Post
I appreciate all the comments and reco's I am getting here. Sampled the worth this weekend, it is quite tasty, very bourbon like and has the flavors i am looking to impart in the beer. I actually like the taste so much i have been considering not carbonating it and drinking it straight out of the barrel!
maybe i will bottle with the cherries and what ever carbination i get from them will be how much it gets carbonated.
I may have transferred too soon in some of your opinions yet from sampling I am picking up no ill effects, the beer is tasting quite like I expected it to. just not oakie enough yet.....
I cant wit to hear about this. My old roommate and i made a milk stout with toasted French oak chips and burbon last winter it was amazing! People in the neighborhood would come knock on the door asking of they could buy six packs from us.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #28
udt89
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMonster

I cant wit to hear about this. My old roommate and i made a milk stout with toasted French oak chips and burbon last winter it was amazing! People in the neighborhood would come knock on the door asking of they could buy six packs from us.
Got a recipe?

Long Island Computer Repair

Old 02-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #29
the_sloth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

a few have asked for the recipe of this concoction and as I would like to keep it a guarded secret I will share it in hopes that someone else brews this and can weigh in on what they think. I know it is in beginning stages and I rarely hype my own beers deliciousness (usually let everyone else talk it up--not me) but this beer has won me over immediately. without any further ado:

2lbs crystal rye, thomas fawcett, UK 70-80
2lbs rye malt, breiss, USA 3.7
1lb. maris otter pale ale, bairds, UK 2.5-3.5
1lb victory toasted malt, breiss, USA 25
3lbs golden light DME, USA
3.3lbs golden light CBW breiss LME
3oz. citra whole hops 15.6%/3.5%
1oz. cascade whole hops 8.9%/6.0%
(2) wyeast 3522 belgian ardennes
3tsp. gypsum
2 tsp. irish moss
1/2oz sweet orange peel
1/4 tsp. wyeast nutrient
1/2c. lactose
1/2lb maltodextrin
2/3c. maker's mark w/ 10 dashes angostura bitters & orange zest of one orange
post fermentation:
8oz maker's mark

-add grains to 4 gallons h2o @ 150 degrees, steep for 30 minutes
-raise temp to 158, hold for 30 minutes
-heat 2 1/2c h20 to 170 sparge grains
-raise to boil (60min boil), add DME, LME, malto, gypsum, lactose, 1/2oz citra, 1/2 cascade
-@45mins add 1/2oz citra
-@30mins add 1/2 cascade
-@20mins add irish moss
-@10mins add wyeast nutrient
-@5mins add 2/3c. markers. 1/2oz sweet orange peel, 1/2oz citra, 1/2oz cascade
OG 1.0854
-pitched 2 wyeast 3522 smack packs
-transfer to new oak barrel, adding 8oz. of makers mark bourbon to barrel

after aged to acceptable taste will bottle adding a bourbon soaked maraschino cherry (muddled) to each bottle individually (no priming--this will be the sugar source of carbonation)

bottle condition (few months????) then ENJOY!!

if anyone attempts this please share your thoughts, insights and reviews.....

Last edited by the_sloth; 02-07-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #30
the_sloth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

does anyone have any idea how to figure out what kind of impact adding maker's has to the overall alcohol content? I would imagine doing standard gravity reading would tell me after i transfer to bottle? But any way to figure it out beforehand? I added 5.5oz at five minutes left in boil and another 8oz. direct to barrel post fermentation.

Quick Reply