Brew on a woodstove?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewA08

Reaction score
Hi guys, new here and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have never brewed my own beer before, just working on logistics before beginning. A friend of mine has a wood stove he can give me and I'd be interested in knowing if this would be a feasible method to brew outdoors. I read another thread in here that said it might be tricky getting it up to ideal temp and with boil overs. Could I get a bigger pot than needed to try to prevent boil overs or would it be a waste if I can't get a good temp anyway?

Cheers lads,
A

It must work because people were brewing beer on wood stoves for centuries, if not thousands of years. I'm not sure how long it would take to get to a boil but it would definitely make you stand out from the crowd.

As long as you have a flat surface to work it should work. But just have to ask why you would do that?

Think through your "flameout" process...when the boil is over. Turning off propane is easy. Turning of a roaring wood fire, not easy. Moving 5+ gallons of hot wort, not recommended.

Not saying don't do it, just think through your process.

would it be a waste if I can't get a good temp anyway?
yes, it would be a waste since a stove that can't get you to boiling temps is useless. unfortunately the only way you're going to find out is to set yourself up, new pot and all, and see if you can boil that much water.

so ya gotta ask yourself: feeling lucky, punk? </eastwood>

I have a wood burning cast iron stove in my house. It will not boil water though. I usually pre heat my water on it if I am brewing in the winter. Then use the propane burner to get it up to boiling temps!

Latest posts

Back