Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Boiling wort "here" then pitching yeast "there"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2014, 02:17 AM   #21
ram5ey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve3730 View Post
Buy all the equipment you need down there. after you use it wrap up the equipment and hope your brother likes his wedding present
I like this idea

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 02:32 AM   #22
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 12

What about BIAB when you get there? Bring all ingredients down with you and have your brother get a pot and buckets to ferment in. I know it's easier to brew at your house but shipping is a pain, actually it's a pain either way I guess pick your poison, brew then ship or aquire stuff to brew with and brew their, either way is a PITA.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #23
rgauthier20420
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 61

A lot of good ideas everyone. A couple things about each.

Buying and brewing there would be great if I was looking to spend the extra cash. And trust me, if I thought he'd get into the hobby I would be doing this! We are looking to have close to 15 gallons of beer for his wedding reception. To do a full boil, I'd need a 20 gallon vessel which even in aluminum isn't all that cheap. BIAB with a 20 gallon vessel for 15 gallons of beer doesn't work either because of additional space needed. Then, even if I got that size vessel, I'm not about to try moving that much liquid with a drain hole and valve....more $$$.

Packing it all into a 5 gallon keg would be beautiful....if only that keg stayed under 50lbs . Plus, since there wouldn't be any inside pressure in the keg, I'd be worried about leakage. Something I'd rather not have in my luggage.

Yes, it's pretty much DIY-LME as another poster said. As far as the hop schedule goes, this is a simple Orange Citrus wheat beer. There will only be 1 bittering hop additional and then 5 and 0 of Amarillo for citrus along with some orange peel. I'm brewing a 5 gallon test batch on Sunday.

I've already reserved myself to this being annoying, but it'll be cool to have my beer served to 200+ guests. I'll keep the thread updated down the line as far as progress. I'm sure I'm not the only one that may be thinking of doing this some time or other.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #24
SmokeyMcBong
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgauthier20420 View Post
but it'll be cool to have my beer served to 200+ guests.
this would be really cool, everybody getting drunk off your hobby but i'd wonder if it would expose you to any liability?

-If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it.
-I may not be as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was!
-Not a big fan of beer.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #25
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 334 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 25

And there maybe transport laws. We have this funky law where I can only legally transport 1L of wine or 72oz of beer if they are homebrewed.

This must be how Sarah Silverman's father felt.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #26
snowtires
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts

I meant put your concentrated LME brewnin the keg it should be under 50lb still and you could pressurize it so it wouldn't leak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Primary 1 Hoppy birthday IPA
Primary 2 Citra blonde
Secondary: Do people still use secondaries?
Drinking: Beer from the store :(

Old 01-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #27
rgauthier20420
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
And there maybe transport laws. We have this funky law where I can only legally transport 1L of wine or 72oz of beer if they are homebrewed.
I won't be transporting a fermented beverage, which means I'm not bringing beer. I'll be pitching when I'm there. As far as I know, there's no limit to the amount of liquid of a piece of checked luggage. It's like I'm bringing home 5 gallons of my favorite apple juice cause I can't get it there.

As far as liability, he's checked with reception hall and told them that he has some beer he'd like to have served and they've given the thumbs up. There's a ton of other liquor and other beer being served also. Honestly, I'm don't even 15 gallons will get finished. But, I'm not too worried because the reception hall knows and gave the ok.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #28
rgauthier20420
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtires View Post
I meant put your concentrated LME brewnin the keg it should be under 50lb still and you could pressurize it so it wouldn't leak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app
I'll be bringing between 4.5 -5 gallons total. A gallon of water weighs 8.3 lbs and who knows what a gallon of this stuff would weight given the sugar density it will have. Plus the keg and then packaging. I'm not sure I'd be fitting under the 50 lbs mark honestly.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:24 PM   #29
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 334 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgauthier20420 View Post
I won't be transporting a fermented beverage, which means I'm not bringing beer. I'll be pitching when I'm there. As far as I know, there's no limit to the amount of liquid of a piece of checked luggage. It's like I'm bringing home 5 gallons of my favorite apple juice cause I can't get it there.

As far as liability, he's checked with reception hall and told them that he has some beer he'd like to have served and they've given the thumbs up. There's a ton of other liquor and other beer being served also. Honestly, I'm don't even 15 gallons will get finished. But, I'm not too worried because the reception hall knows and gave the ok.
I mean transporting homebrew in the car to the reception hall.

This must be how Sarah Silverman's father felt.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #30
rgauthier20420
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
I mean transporting homebrew in the car to the reception hall.
Haha never heard of that rule. Man we're all a bunch of law breakin fools then!

Quick Reply