Aeration Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabs478

Reaction score
I know I am supposed to chill the wort down after the boil before I aerate it, or else the disolved oxygen can oxidise different consituents in the beer causing bad flavors.

But how cold does it have to be before aerating it is ok?

I ask the question because I am proposing a chilling method that may aerate it in the process, so perhaps I might need a little pre-chilling before I use this method. Details of this proposed cilling method can be seen on the following link...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=34607

from how to brew by palmer (www.howtobrew.com)
7.4 Cooling the Wort
At the end of the boil, it is important to cool the wort quickly. While it is still hot, (above 140°F) bacteria and wild yeasts are inhibited. But it is very susceptible to oxidation damage as it cools. There are also the previously mentioned sulfur compounds that evolve from the wort while it is hot. If the wort is cooled slowly, dimethyl sulfide will continue to be produced in the wort without being boiled off; causing off-flavors in the finished beer. The objective is to rapidly cool the wort to below 80°F before oxidation or contamination can occur.

itry to get mine down to at least 75 before areation ,and if ya pour it in to the fermentation vessal from a short distance the areation process is done when you get through pouring ,but ,its just one way to do it ,be cool ,beer bud bull

Latest posts

Back