Aeration system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdindy

Reaction score
So I am debating on getting an aeration system. I am looking into some high gravity recipes (1.080-1.100) and was wondering if it is worth getting for those beers. I always do a good shake with a normal recipe but I was wondering if it is a worth getting just for those or if it is really not needed. Has anyone used them before and does it make a difference?

I siphon from my kettle to my primary with the hose held high. This results in splashing and foam.
I then use a dedicated paint stirrer to churn it real well before pitching.
This method has worked for me every time

I believe that anything you can do to give your yeast a better head start is a good thing. Particularly with high gravity beers.

There are a couple options. Air and pure O2. The former involves forcing air into the wort with a small air pump, such as an aquarium pump. You will want an inline sanitary filter to prevent the introduction of germs into your wort. The other is an O2 system. This can be as simple as a disposable O2 bottle from the hardware store, a regulator, hose and stone. You don't need a sanitary filter as O2 acts as a disinfectant. The whole system can be bought for around $50 or so.

Either option works well, but the O2 system will get more ppm of oxygen in solution and do it faster, since air only contains about 20% oxygen.

I am just getting back in to brewing so my experience is dated by 15 years. I always used an aquarium pump with hose run thru a second hole in the bubbler stopper to an aeration stone at the bottom of the fermenter and it always worked great. As I see it any air that enters the fermenter is the same air be it shaken, stirred, pumped ....... getting your yeast to kick in strong and quickly is key. I think I paid around $15 for the Aquarium pump hose and stone. The oxygen sounds even better.

thanks for the advice, I may look into the investment after all.

I just shake - very well.

I have made 1.100 beers come down to 1.010. I regularly do 1.080 - 1.090 beers, with no problems. Aeration systems may improve fermentation for you, but I find shaking does the job for what I have made so far.

90 seconds with pure oxygen via a diffusion stone works for me. Not a fan of shaking a full glass carboy.

Is it essential kit. Certainly not.

Are there lots of cheaper effective simple ways to aerate the wort yes.

Is oxygenation preferable to aeration? Higher ppm of dissolved O2 are obtainable with oxygen so perhaps yes for some higher gravity beers.

Am I happy with the simple oxygenation system I use? Yes

Oxygen Tank, regulator and stainless steel wand/ stone image.jpg

I would also recommend using a simple O2 setup for high gravity beers, but as Gavin said, it isn't strictly necessary. Just keep in mind that you are very limited in terms of dissolved oxygen when shaking/splashing. That is also the stage with the highest risk of introducing bacteria, wild yeast and mold to your virgin wort.

90 seconds with pure oxygen via a diffusion stone works for me. Not a fan of shaking a full glass carboy.

Is it essential kit. Certainly not.

Are there lots of cheaper effective simple ways to aerate the wort yes.

Is oxygenation preferable to aeration? Higher ppm of dissolved O2 are obtainable with oxygen so perhaps yes for some higher gravity beers.

Am I happy with the simple oxygenation system I use? Yes

Oxygen Tank, regulator and stainless steel wand/ stoneView attachment 265763

Gavin... do you have a source or link for the aeration device shown in your photo?

Thanks Gavin. I just ordered one for about $32.00 delivered and will stop by HD today to pick up the bottle. looks quick and clean :mug:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...cron-16.html?gclid=CIWYxu2VwcQCFY17fgodZAsANA

No worries. I think it's a great buy.

Couple of user pointers if you are interested.

1: When I got mine the tubing was not clamped to the wand. Result was the wand being lost twice to the FV and O2 escaping out the junction between the two. I think NB now includes a clamp. You can how I clamped it better in this thread

2: The stone can be boiled to clean or baked if you desire. Oxiclean and Starsan works too.

3: Avoid touching the stone. It doesn't do well with skin oil.

Thanks Gavin. Edited: I just went back and read your post 90 seconds................ So if I recall correctly you aerate with pure oxygen for just 15 or 20 seconds right after pitching yeast?

Thanks Gavin. Edited: I just went back and read your post 90 seconds................ So if I recall correctly you aerate with pure oxygen for just 15 or 20 seconds right after pitching yeast?

90 seconds prior to pitching. I dont think it matters a great deal before/after. I just like to pitch last thing. I do it after I oxygenated and set the FV into the fermentation chamber.

The product from NB is here. Your link is just for the wand. You won't have any worries changing the order if you need to. NB have great customer service in my experience.

One other tip: Immediately after oxygenating the wort, stick the stone end into some Starsan and let the O2 blow out the pores for a few seconds. Then rinse and gently pat the stone dry with a clean paper towel. This will help prevent wort from drying up inside the pores.

Back