5 Gal. MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedalmedic

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon igloo round cooler I would like to convert to try an all grain batch. From what I have searched, this is enough size to make a 5 gallon batch. Could this make a 10 Gallon batch so If I wanted to Keg and bottle some?

It will be difficult - you can get an estimated maximum of 13 pounds of grain in that cooler with 1 qt. of water per lb. You would need to fly sparge or batch sparge at least three times. And 13 lbs. will make a pretty low gravity beer at 10 gallons.

I would recommend a minimum 10 gallon mash tun for 10 gallon batches.

Thanks, I'll give it a go with 5 gallons and if move up if needed.

Keep your parts for the mast tun conversion and use them on the 10 gallon cooler when you do move up. Or, if you have the room, you can keep both--not everybody makes 10 gallon batches at every go...

Keeping everything is not a problem, I have a problem throwing things away. I would need to make a new manifold tho right? The bottom of a 10 is larger than the 5.

Keeping everything is not a problem, I have a problem throwing things away. I would need to make a new manifold tho right? The bottom of a 10 is larger than the 5.

If you batch sparge, manifold size is kind of irrelevant. You could reuse it you desire.

Also, if your really want to do ten gallons, you could just mash twice to collect the 10 gallons and combine for the boil.

I recently converted a 5 gallon cooler to an MLT. So far, having done 2 different 5 gal batches in it, it works great for the beers I have made around 1.050. I'm sparging twice, and definitely see the limitation on higher gravity brews, but for now it is perfect!

I tried out my new MLT made out of a 5 gallon Igloo Sunday. It was my first batch of "MG" (Mostly Grain). I had no problems draining. My efficiency was low, but I am working on that.

From what I can tell, 10lbs of grain pretty much max it out. You might be able to run an 11lb batch, barely.

If I decide to move up to a 10 gallon MLT, I will probably sell my 5 gallon to a new brewer. Might get enough to pay for the materials for the 10 gallon.

I built a 5 gallon because I was impatient, said I would likely never brew 10g batches, and wasn't interested in bigger beers. Especially considering my brew pot was only 7.5 gallons.

That was two all-grain batches ago. Now here I sit with a new found favorite beer (bell's two hearted ale) and really wished I could brew it. Two days ago a buddy from work donated a 15.5 senke to my cause leaving me with only a bigger MLT for an excuse. Most likely I'm going to convert a coleman cooler that I already had for the MLT, but I really wish I had bought the 10 to begin with.

I built a 5 gallon because I was impatient, said I would likely never brew 10g batches, and wasn't interested in bigger beers. Especially considering my brew pot was only 7.5 gallons.

That was two all-grain batches ago. Now here I sit with a new found favorite beer (bell's two hearted ale) and really wished I could brew it. Two days ago a buddy from work donated a 15.5 senke to my cause leaving me with only a bigger MLT for an excuse. Most likely I'm going to convert a coleman cooler that I already had for the MLT, but I really wish I had bought the 10 to begin with.

Amen - I have heard this story many times. I always tell anyone waffling between buying a small or large kettle, mash tun, etc. - "Get the big one - you'll be glad you did." I started with a 10 gallon mash tun - then built a 17.5 gallon - and yesterday I was looking at a 25 gallon cooler to build a "big" mash tun.

Amen - I have heard this story many times. I always tell anyone waffling between buying a small or large kettle, mash tun, etc. - "Get the big one - you'll be glad you did." I started with a 10 gallon mash tun - then built a 17.5 gallon - and yesterday I was looking at a 25 gallon cooler to build a "big" mash tun.

Today I was off work. I would have been brewing a Two Hearted clone this afternoon if it wasn't for the fact that I still need to convert the bigger cooler and cut the top of my sanke..... If I had listened in the beginning I'd be pitching yeast right now.

I use a 5 gallon converted round cooler for my MLT but do partial mash brews. I'll be moving to all grain soon and will likely get a 10 gallon to convert as part of the process.
Mashing six pounds of grain in the 5 gal is fine but trying to mash 12+ would not fly.

I was at home depot and went and got the 10.... I really do not know what to do with the 5.

Back