The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 23 hours and nothing has happened...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2004, 11:44 PM   #21
cnw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Same thing happened to me - I made my first batch of West Coast Pale on Christmas Eve and substuted a lb. of dry malt, that I bought from the local home brew store, for the Booster per the directions.

It's been almost 4 days and nothing was happening so I shook the keg up like you did and finally got some foaning action on the top. Before I did this the yeast was just floating on the top and clumping up.

Think maybe the dry malt messed things up? I'll keep you posted on the next few days of fermentation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2004, 11:56 PM   #22
cnw
Recipes 

Forgot to mention that I took a sip shortly after I shook it and it tasted like flat beer although a little sweet.

There is still a light layer of foam on the top but nothing much else seems to be happening - maybe I missed all the action in the first 24 hours since it was Christmas and I was busy?

Old 12-29-2004, 09:40 PM   #23
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnw
Same thing happened to me - I made my first batch of West Coast Pale on Christmas Eve and substuted a lb. of dry malt, that I bought from the local home brew store, for the Booster per the directions.

It's been almost 4 days and nothing was happening so I shook the keg up like you did and finally got some foaning action on the top. Before I did this the yeast was just floating on the top and clumping up.

Think maybe the dry malt messed things up? I'll keep you posted on the next few days of fermentation.
Shaking is doing nothing. The only reason you saw foam is that your beer *was* fermenting, but the solution had not yet become supersaturated with CO2. All you were doing was knocking dissolved CO2 out of solution, thus making it take longer again to start bubbling.

My guess is that the problem with these kits is they use far too small of a yeast pitch. Make a starter, let it get fermenting vigorously, and pitch that, and you'll get fast fermentation.

That said, some yeasts are definitely slower, so patience is a virtue. But a slow start is never good, and sooner or later you'll get an infection.

And did I read someone saying they *stirred* in their yeast???? Geez, NEVER stir in your yeast. Use liquid yeast and make an appropriate starter. There is absolutely no need to stir, and it invites infection.

Janx

Old 12-31-2004, 04:13 PM   #24
cnw
Recipes 

Thanks, what is and how do you make a "starter"? I also heard that there are other kinds of yeasts that work better in colder conditions.

Quick Reply