100 % natural anti foam human extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcody2005

Reaction score
it was time for me to check the sg of my wort today. i rememered from last time( im a new brewer) that when i filled my cylinder with beer there was quite a head on it. athough the head was a good sign, it iterfeared with my test. thinging about how to reduce this nucence next time, i remembered a tip that my bar tending sister told me years ago about pouring warm soda. i call this method "100 % natural anti foam human extract". works with both warm soda and heady beer.
Take your finger and rub it in the crevice where Your nose meets your face. dip said finger into the acumulated head or froth, swirl finger liberally.
amazingly, the bubbles will go away and you can take an accurate reading.
If you are planning to serve this de-headed concauction, serve only to the human from wich the extract was derrived. usually, when doing a sg test the beer is not served, but this method works eaqually well with warm soda thats about to make a mess on your counter top.

the oil on your fingers will definetly kill the foam, and you tend to have more oil on your face exspecially where your nose meets it . . . . it's also an excent way to infect your beer

do you pour your test beer back into your fermentor? i usually drink it. yum, surface tension modifying face oil, my favorite!

Pumbaa said:
the oil on your fingers will definetly kill the foam, and you tend to have more oil on your face exspecially where your nose meets it . . . . it's also an excent way to infect your beer
He said to put your finger where your nose meets your face not put your finger in your nose. :D

Normally you shouldn't be putting your sample taken for SG reading back into the batch anyway since you typically have to let it sit out for a while for the bubbles to disperse. If you're not returning the sample to the batch infection isn't an issue.

I don't get it... just stick the siphon tube down an inch farther into the carboy before drawing off your sample. problem solved.

Unless, of course, you're talking about taking an s.g. from beer which is already carbed... but that doesn't make any sense either...

But the nose-oil-to-kill-beerfoam trick is pretty cool in a Mr. Wizard kind of way. :)

alemonkey said:
I remember people doing this at keg parties when I was in college. Always kind of grossed me out.

Yeah, nose-greased a few glasses of Natty Lite Ice back in the day.

Latest posts

Back