100% Atten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brettanomyces?

Seriously though, I think its almost impossible to achieve 100% attenuation. There are a lot of longer chained sugars that saccharomyces can't use. The only other idea would be to use a lot of adjunct sugar. That will get you a very dry beer, but it will be lacking in body. Mashing low will help too, but won't guarntee 100% fermentability.

Why do you want 100% attenuation? The result will be very dry. The unfermentable sugars that remain in beer lend a lot to the flavor profile and the mouth feel of the beer.

If you are looking for a stronger alcohol content you can just start out with a heavier beer with a larger original gravity.

Why do you think/feel you need to have 100% attenuation? Most if not all the yeasts we use (which are also the ones the commercial breweries use) only get between 75-85%....

The rest of the equation are all the unfermentables and long chain sugars, are actually what give our beers flavor, and body, things we like....to get 100% attenuation you'd pretty much be making something akin to vodka....pretty tasteless actually.

Beano - This will break down all of the complex sugars that give beer flavor and body in to simple sugars that can be fermented. The final result will be 100% attenuated and 100% lacking the characteristics that make homebrew worth doing.

I just wondered why youd stop at 75% atten and not 100% and i think ive gotten an answer. You need some of those left over sugars for body and taste.. Same reason why only brew for 60 min and only get 30% of your hops usage. But thats another post for another day

Yea, it can get confusing. In brewing, bigger isn't always better. The numbers are there so you can get consistent results. If your attenuation % is jumping around constantly, you can never produce repeatable beer.

Latest posts

Back