Water Adjustment for ESB doing both an All Grain and Extract version

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrimyHoboSack

Reaction score
I switched to all grain brewing after only a couple extract batches and I haven't been too pleased with most of my all grain brews. So for my next beer I wanted to brew an All Grain and an extract equivalent version of the same beer, with the same yeast and match them as closely as possible.

So 3 questions based on this scenario:

1) The recipe is 10 lbs 2 row, 12 oz crystal 60, 4oz crystal 120 for the all grain and I converted the 10lbs of 2row into 7lb 13oz of pale liquid extract but left everything else the same, specialty malts, hops, yeast etc. Does that seem like the best way to make a comparable extract version taste wise? I don't mind that the extract version might be darker or any purely visual differences.

2) Should I do any water adjustments on the extract version at all or will I just end up making a mess of it not knowing what is already in the extract from the water it was made with?

3) I've tried water additions only once before and only in the mash, as I forgot to adjust the water in the brew kettle after sparging. So I don't really have any experience with adjusting water, this is my plan so far based on EZ Water Calculator 3. Does this look about right for adjustments?
ESBWaterCalc.png

That looks pretty nice for an ESB to me.
You may want to bump your Mg up a bit to 10 ppm with some epsom salts while keeping everything else the same (so a bit less gypsum and calcium chloride), but that's picking nits.

That looks pretty nice for an ESB to me.
You may want to bump your Mg up a bit to 10 ppm with some epsom salts while keeping everything else the same (so a bit less gypsum and calcium chloride), but that's picking nits.

Sounds good, thanks for the confirmation. I was under the impression that Magnesium wasn't all that important to worry about as you get enough from the grains in the mash, is that not accurate?

Any thoughts on adjusting the water for the extract?

You will get some magnesium from the mash. Your starting mg numbers are pretty low so I don't think it would hurt to add just a bit to get to that 10ppm lower limit and then let the grain contribute what it will.
It's used as a yeast nutrient, and in amounts of 10-30ppm is a beer flavor enhancer according to Ray Daniels in Designing Great Beers. Above 30 and it starts adding astringency.

For the extract brew, I'd use pure RO water.
Unless you've used the same extract in this same recipe before and made some notes on something you thought was lacking, there's really no way to accurately know what the mineral content was of the water used to make the extract.

From what I can assess, Mg is not needed in water for all malt worts since the malt supplies more than enough for the yeast performance and health. The only reason to add Mg is for flavor impact. Since this is an ESB, Mg may be desirable for its flavor impact.

Back