The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Thoughts on Ward Laboratories Water Test?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default Thoughts on Ward Laboratories Water Test?

https://producers.wardlab.com/BrewersKitOrder.aspx

$36. I'm going to do this and finally start giving a crap about my water. A pro-brewer friend of mine makes excellent beer. I got one of his recipes and made it at home (yes I know other factors are involved) but the mouth feel and overall quality was no where close.

I'm wondering if there's a cheaper test available?

---Before the questions come in, I'm out in the middle of nowhere..about an hour from any town / city so my water is off two wells and rely heavily on the rain we get. There's a running river behind the house and I brew beers off the tap water. It's a new hot water heater so there aren't a lot of mineral deposits but the house is hold so plumbing may have some rust. I'm honestly not sure.

It tastes great to drink. Pretty soft.

I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjackson View Post
https://producers.wardlab.com/BrewersKitOrder.aspx

$36. I'm going to do this and finally start giving a crap about my water. A pro-brewer friend of mine makes excellent beer. I got one of his recipes and made it at home (yes I know other factors are involved) but the mouth feel and overall quality was no where close.

I'm wondering if there's a cheaper test available?

---Before the questions come in, I'm out in the middle of nowhere..about an hour from any town / city so my water is off two wells and rely heavily on the rain we get. There's a running river behind the house and I brew beers off the tap water. It's a new hot water heater so there aren't a lot of mineral deposits but the house is hold so plumbing may have some rust. I'm honestly not sure.

It tastes great to drink. Pretty soft.

Many people get the W-6 test, which should be enough. If your water is heavily influenced by rain you might be chasing a ghost of sorts, though.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
adamjackson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
Many people get the W-6 test, which should be enough. If your water is heavily influenced by rain you might be chasing a ghost of sorts, though.
Really? Why is that? Just rain patterns..it is "filtered" to a degree as it goes through the ground and into the well. I feel like our water does taste better in the spring when all of the snow melts (usually 4 feet deep snow in our yard) and that fills the river and water tastes better. It gets more minerally in the fall.

My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Old 10-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 516 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The influence of rain will depend on the depth of the well(s). If they are tapping a deep aquifer how much it rains somewhere quite distant from you will be more important than the rain patterns at your location. Get the test done to see what's nominal and then you can either decide to go with that (which, if the water is low in mineral content is OK) or get additional tests or do some testing yourself to see about variability over time. If the water is variable an RO system is a possibility not so much because it takes out the minerals (which of course it does) but because in so doing it takes out the variability.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjackson View Post
Really? Why is that? Just rain patterns..it is "filtered" to a degree as it goes through the ground and into the well. I feel like our water does taste better in the spring when all of the snow melts (usually 4 feet deep snow in our yard) and that fills the river and water tastes better. It gets more minerally in the fall.
In general that more minerally taste is going to mean higher alkalinity, which will make for a harder time getting your mash pH in line. But, I'd wager (though one can't be certain) you must have a fair bit of variability (over the year at least) if you an so clearly taste the difference.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
adamjackson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
In general that more minerally taste is going to mean higher alkalinity, which will make for a harder time getting your mash pH in line. But, I'd wager (though one can't be certain) you must have a fair bit of variability (over the year at least) if you an so clearly taste the difference.
or more likely, I'm just insane.

My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Old 10-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 24

If the OP is from New Hampshire, aren't the mountains up there mostly igneous? I don't believe there are carbonate aquifers or deposits up there. Mineralliness in the case of groundwater from a non-carbonate aquifer may be more likely from other metal ions like Fe and Mn.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 10-12-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
adamjackson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
If the OP is from New Hampshire, aren't the mountains up there mostly igneous? I don't believe there are carbonate aquifers or deposits up there. Mineralliness in the case of groundwater from a non-carbonate aquifer may be more likely from other metal ions like Fe and Mn.
Good question. NO idea. I'm living on a mountain. Peak is a few thousand feet and the rain feeds into 4 rivers (one running behind my house) that feed into a lake that's about 4 square miles in size.

My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Old 10-12-2012, 02:24 AM   #9
zrule
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have used the w-6 test, $16.50. download the order form, fill water bottle and send. It gives you all the tests. It gives everything that the beer test for 26.50 gives except phosphorus and iron.
http://www.wardlab.com/images/Sample...HomeBrewer.pdf

Quick Reply