Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > So I'm Having difficulty understanding...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 01:52 AM   #1
blackstrat5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default So I'm Having difficulty understanding...

I apologize, that these questions are common...but after a lot of searching I'm still unsure.

Now, I'm starting to look into my water, to see if maybe playing with the profile will give my a beer a little more "oopmh" towards improvement. I finally installed an inline carbon filter to filter my Baltimore City water. Anyway, my questions are:

Do I add salts to achieve a water profile of a city known for that style? (Or is it all that important?)

Are salts added to successfully hit ph 5.2 for that specific style?

If I was trying to match a city profile for a pilsner, is that going to get me to the right pH? I remember reading that the soft water still required a acid rest to obtain the correct pH.

Sorry again for these questions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 03:58 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The only reason 5.2 pH is a goal is because that's the best place for conversion in the mash to take place.

As for creating styles...yes, you should aim for the city water profile if you're wanting to duplicate a certain beer. BUT...I've made plenty of good beers off of my own water profile, so it's not "required".

The thing you have to remember is that certain malts will help your pH by lowering it or increasing it. You have to take into acount the types of malts you're using, and their pH potential...then build from there.

I'd suggest starting easy by trying your own tap water with 5.2 stabilizer. It's a powder that you add to your mash that acts as a buffer to create 5.2 pH almost every time. If that doesn't work to improve your beer...then move on to more complicated water treatment.

If your current beers are coming out fine without any bad aftertastes, then chances are, your water is fine.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
studmonk3y
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Read this.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/bre...primer-198460/

Old 10-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post

I'd suggest starting easy by trying your own tap water with 5.2 stabilizer. It's a powder that you add to your mash that acts as a buffer to create 5.2 pH almost every time. If that doesn't work to improve your beer...then move on to more complicated water treatment.
5.2 buffer appears to magically not work if you own a pH meter, but that subject has been beaten to death. What is more important is that acid does work.

Quote:
If I was trying to match a city profile for a pilsner, is that going to get me to the right pH? I remember reading that the soft water still required a acid rest to obtain the correct pH.
Almost no water will get you the correct pH for a pale beer. Nobody has used an acid rest in a very long time. Pilsener breweries add acid (like well informed brewers of all pale beers do).

Quick Reply