Og and volume help/ question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhoussock

Reaction score
Ok brew scientists I need some gravity help. I accidentally put in about a gallon extra of water today when topping off my wart. Thinking It would throw off my gravity readings I was ?surprised to see it was .001 high. Does this mean I did something else wrong at some point or does a gallon of water not have the effect I expected

It means you did something else wrong. Adding water will lower the density of the wort (i.e. lower the gravity). I'm guessing you either a) had less water than you expected to start (pre-top-off), b) had a higher OG than expected (pre-top-off) or c) perhaps your gravity reading before topping off was taken while warm, causing a lower initial reading compared to today's room temp reading.

I took the og reading post top off at the calibrated temp an if my og reading was high to start does that matter, since the extra water brought it to normal and is any of this bad enough to ruin the batch?

I took the og reading post top off at the calibrated temp an if my og reading was high to start does that matter, since the extra water brought it to normal and is any of this bad enough to ruin the batch?

Your batch will most likely be fine. Next time you should take a gravity reading before you top off, so you know exactly how much water to add to hit your target OG.

Latest posts

Back