Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Help with Water Report!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Zionoraca
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help with Water Report!

Hello I am trying to make sense of my water report. It is my first AG batch and trying not to make it too complicated but if the water is just way off I don't want a bad batch. I am making a brown 1.046 OG. The water tastes good with just a hint of chlorine taste/smell. The report says 2011 but I was told it remains very similar.

http://www.sws-sssd.org/pdfs/water-quality.pdf

Is there anything simple I could do to get it close to right without having a full line of salts? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
whiskeyjack
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Is it just me or is there a blank page ? I can't see any values that you need to judge your water on such as calcium, magnesium, sodium, bicarb. All I can see are your sulfate and chloride and they are pretty low it seems. It may be my pc, but the page above OUR MISSION is blank and I don't think its supposed to be idk

"Many mules have matched wits with me, yet almost all have failed!" Pust

Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 AM   #3
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 24

There isn't enough information on that sheet to be definitive. However, the report does indicate that the chloride and sulfate are quite low. In addition, the total dissolved solids are low. Therefore, the Ca and Mg and HCO3 are also low. Can't tell how low...just low. This should be an excellent brewing water. Use the recommendations of the Water Primer or try out Bru'n Water when you have sent a sample off to Ward for testing.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
Zionoraca
Recipes 

Yes this is all the information I have on the water at this time. I will have a full sample from ward for my next batch. I'm glad to hear that this water should be excellent for brewing. You mentioned using the recommendations of the Water Primer? What does this mean?

Old 02-19-2013, 05:54 AM   #5
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The primer is stickied to the top of this thread. I'm assuming from what mabrungard your water can be considered close enough to 'ro' water that you can follow the recommendations as if it were for the time being.

Quick Reply