Help with LOW OG reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed the following batch expecting to get a og reading of around1.060 and i came up with 1.030....

3lbs white wheat malt
6.5lbs wheat lme
.8oz amarillo hops
1oz bitter orange peel
.4oz whole cloves
1 stick true cinnamon

I brought roughly 3 gals of water to 165 and steeped my grains with the cloves and the cinnamon for 30 minutes and let them drain back in.
I then brought the water to a boil and added as follows i had a good boil through out not to rapid but a good boil

60min Half LME and Half Hops
25min Remaining LME
20min 1oz orange peel
10min Remaining Hops
0min terminate boil.

Chilled the wort to roughly 80 degrees and filtered it out into my fermenter added enough water to get to my 5gal batch and waited for my temp to get to roughly 72 degrees took my OG at the point. Then i added my yeast a liquid yeast wyeast 3068 and took my OG again and came up with the same. i pitched my yeast at roughly 10:30pm and at 8:00 this morning I already had air let off out of my air lock. So my question is did i do something wrong of is my og really that low. If it is what can I do to increase the sugars in my batch to get the ABV up where it should be around 6%.

Any help would be great i am still in the learning process of brewing

With extract brewing, its nearly impossible to not hit your target gravity, unless your volume measurements are off. So, one thing to check would be if your recipe was for 5 gallons and you have five gallons of wort fermenting away.

The more likely culprit, though, is that your hydrometer reading was off, because the wort from your boil and the topping-off water didn't get completely mixed, which is very common. So you were taking a reading from less dense wort.

I suspect your original gravity is fine, just not measured correctly. Cheers!

I brewed the following batch expecting to get a og reading of around1.060 and i came up with 1.030....

3lbs white wheat malt
6.5lbs wheat lme
.8oz amarillo hops
1oz bitter orange peel
.4oz whole cloves
1 stick true cinnamon

I brought roughly 3 gals of water to 165 and steeped my grains with the cloves and the cinnamon for 30 minutes and let them drain back in.
I then brought the water to a boil and added as follows i had a good boil through out not to rapid but a good boil

60min Half LME and Half Hops
25min Remaining LME
20min 1oz orange peel
10min Remaining Hops
0min terminate boil.

Chilled the wort to roughly 80 degrees and filtered it out into my fermenter added enough water to get to my 5gal batch and waited for my temp to get to roughly 72 degrees took my OG at the point. Then i added my yeast a liquid yeast wyeast 3068 and took my OG again and came up with the same. i pitched my yeast at roughly 10:30pm and at 8:00 this morning I already had air let off out of my air lock. So my question is did i do something wrong of is my og really that low. If it is what can I do to increase the sugars in my batch to get the ABV up where it should be around 6%.

Any help would be great i am still in the learning process of brewing

Two things at play here:

#1: Since you topped off, there probably was not a good mix between the wort and the top off water.

#2: You probably did not extract as much sugars from the wheat malt as your calculator expected since you steeped it instead of mashing.

All in all, I'd leave it alone and call it good.

Thanks for the help i took a gravity reading when i transfered to my secondary and it was dead on where it should of been. I had good fermentation with a good sedament base when i drained my primary and my secondary is 4 days through and i am still getting a good base build up. So i am going to to agree that it was more then likly a poor mix after i did the top off. However on that note i am going to be done with extract brewing and am planning my first AG brew within the next 2 weeks. I have a cooler ordered and will be building the manifold the day it arrives (whoever thought that owning a hardware store would be such a benifit to homebrewing!!!!) so thanks again for all the help and i will be sure to post the results of my first AG batch and when and if i have any problems.

Back