Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Determining probable alkalinity in RO water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Default Determining probable alkalinity in RO water

I remember a post somewhere by AJ deLange, talking about the amount of alkalinity removed by RO systems at home. I can't find it now! I know that the RO system doesn't remove everything, so I was thinking if I could estimate the probably result then I wouldn't have to send in my treated water to Ward Labs.

I do have an aquarium hardness test kit, so I was wondering if I can use what I know from my water chemistry prior to RO filtering and testing the end water to guestimate my alkalinity before I brew today.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I remember a post somewhere by AJ deLange, talking about the amount of alkalinity removed by RO systems at home. I can't find it now! I know that the RO system doesn't remove everything, so I was thinking if I could estimate the probably result then I wouldn't have to send in my treated water to Ward Labs.

I do have an aquarium hardness test kit, so I was wondering if I can use what I know from my water chemistry prior to RO filtering and testing the end water to guestimate my alkalinity before I brew today.
If you have a kH kit then you can directly measure the alkalinity. But, I believe he's said they'll usually remove about 95% of everything (some a little higher, some a little lower). Even if it's only 90% for yours, you should still be within the primer's alkalinity max, I'd imagine.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
If you have a kH kit then you can directly measure the alkalinity. But, I believe he's said they'll usually remove about 95% of everything (some a little higher, some a little lower). Even if it's only 90% for yours, you should still be within the primer's alkalinity max, I'd imagine.
I did- but I just had a "duh!" moment. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I added 3 grams CaS04 and 4.5 grams of CaCl2 to my 13 gallons of brewing water and sort of forgot about it (as the water was "done").

I mashed in (mash pH 5.55), added two gallons of tap water to my water in the HLT (HLT is small and needed a bit more) and checked the alkalinity with the GH/KH kit. It's HIGH. I went into a mini-panic, thinking my brand new RO system was junk.

Then, the light bulb went off. Um, next time, dummy, do that before you add the salts!

Old 04-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If your RO system isn't removing all alkalinity, that just means it's time to upgrade:
http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/itemdetail?catalogId=29104&productId=2554447&disty pe=0&highlightProductsItemsFlag=Y&fromSearch=1&sto reId=10652&langId=-1

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Quick Reply