dead guy ale water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangemen5

Reaction score
wondering what water profile to use for a dead guy clone. was thinking Munich boiled but it seems very low in in sulfates and chloride. i haven't had this beer in a while so i'm not to sure what to shoot for more sulfates or chloride heavy.

I just brewed the Dead Guy clone with a little extra malt, which is fermenting as I type:

11 lbs 2/6 Row (I have a 'guy' who supplies me with a mix of 2 & 6 row for free :))
4 lbs Munich 20L
1.5 lbs Crystal 20L

I used Brun Water and chose Amber Balanced as the Desired Water Profile. These were my additions:

Mash:
Water: 5.41G RO
Gypsum: 2.7g
Calcium Chloride: 1.6g

Sparge:
Water: 4.32G RO
Gypsum: 2.2g
Calcium Chloride: 1.3g

Finished Profile (ppm):
Ca 53, Mg 0, Na 8, SO4 75, Cl 41, HCO3 16

I mashed at 150, with a pH of 5.5 15 minutes into the mash. The OG was 1.072 / 17.8 Brix.

Cool thanks for all the info. Didn't think of using the amber balanced profile. Looks like a good fit for this beer

You're welcome.

I don't know how it will taste, but the smell from the airlock makes my mouth water.

I'll let someone else with more experience weigh in on if acid or acidulated malt should be added to drop the pH further to, say, 5.3, or if 5.5 is close enough.

FWIW, Brun Water predicted a mash pH of 5.3, which is what I was shooting for.

Back