The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Bru n water mineraly taste?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #11
Hopper5000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 46

ajd, thank you for taking the time to respond to this... i need to read over this a bit to grasp it all but i really appreciate you and mab taking the time. I actually am tasting a brew where i significantly reduced the epsom salt additions and there isn't that minerally taste. It's also a super hoppy IPA so that might be hiding some stuff too, lol.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
nstnate
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper5000 View Post
ajd, thank you for taking the time to respond to this... i need to read over this a bit to grasp it all but i really appreciate you and mab taking the time. I actually am tasting a brew where i significantly reduced the epsom salt additions and there isn't that minerally taste. It's also a super hoppy IPA so that might be hiding some stuff too, lol.
The mineraly taste you are talking about, does it kind of dry out the back of your throat after a drink? Did you come to a conclusion about your mineral additions?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 AM   #13
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 46

hey nstnate,

well it was so long ago that i dont really remember at this point. I basically started proceeding with the less is more attitude and go on the lower end of the additions. I also cut way down on my epsom salts and don't put more than 1 or 2 grams in 5 gallons and that has seemed to help. I think my lower strength beers were more susceptible to these minerally tastes. It's possible that it was the gypsum that was the culprit but I haven't experimented with that as a possibility in overdoing it on just gypsum. It does seem like the epsom salt was the problem as cutting way down on that seemed to get rid of that minerally flavor.

Quick Reply