Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > 'Wild' Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2187 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 2169

Default 'Wild' Yeast?

What's the deal? Why call it wild when it comes in a tube or smack pack?

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 222

which yeast?

Old 12-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 709 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 273

"wild yeast" in this context is being used as a marketing descriptor. the saccaromyces that brewers use can be considered "domesticated" because humans have been using it for centuries and we've selectively bred it (tidbit: our saccaromyces strains used to be able to reproduce sexually, but they've now lost that ability. instead they only bud, aka asexual reproduction). therefore "wild yeast", in the context of yeast that come in a smack pack or a vial, should be interpreted as "non-saccaromyces" - brettanomyces, pedio, lacto.

from a technical standpoint, the "Wild yeast" designation doesn't mean anything. all yeasts are found in nature including sacc. therefore it is possible to ferment with a wild strain of sacc. and the yeast inside that smack pack could be considered domesticated as well, since it comes from a lab, from a controlled colony, etc.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 12-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
"wild yeast" in this context is being used as a marketing descriptor. the saccaromyces that brewer use can be considered "domesticated" because humans have been using it for centuries and we've selectively bred it (tidbit: our saccaromyces strains used to be able to reproduce sexually, but they've now lost that ability. instead they only bud, aka asexual reproduction). therefore "wild yeast", in the context of yeast that come in a smack pack or a vial, should be interpreted as "non-saccaromyces" - brettanomyces, pedio, lacto.

from a technical standpoint, the "Wild yeast" designation doesn't mean anything. all yeasts are found in nature including sacc. therefore it is possible to ferment with a wild strain of sacc. and the yeast inside that smack pack could be considered domesticated as well, since it comes from a lab, from a controlled colony, etc.
Well said, although Lacto and Pedio are bacteria, and so aren't yeast. There are a few other wild yeast species like Kloeckera apiculata that play a role in lambic fermentation, so Brett is not the only interesting "wild" yeast.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 709 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Well said, although Lacto and Pedio are bacteria, and so aren't yeast.
yeah, thanks for catching that. my bad for throwing all microbiota that can ferment into the same (fermenting) bucket

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 12-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Just a wild yeast anecdote here. I bought a gallon of unpasteurized farm-stand apple juice this fall and put it in the fridge to store while I decided what to do with it. A couple weeks later I noticed the plastic jug starting to bulge and so I opened it to let the pressure out, and kept it cold while a lively ferment commenced. I tasted it and it is very good. I hope I've captured a wild strain that I can cultivate and continue to use.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
What's the deal? Why call it wild when it comes in a tube or smack pack?
Well, not all yeast comes from a store/lab. The sacc strain(s) I use extensively came from juniper berries, The sour strain(s) I use came from my cellar. So that's the reason I would call it "wild", although all yeast(s)/bacterium at least started in the wild at some time, most commercial yeasts/bacterium have been altered in some way from it's original "capture", or "discovery".

I also have an "airbourne" sacc strain (or more) that will spontaneously ferment wort in my brewhouse, this may be commercial or wild, or both, I'll never know.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
othellomcbane
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRGeorge View Post
Just a wild yeast anecdote here. I bought a gallon of unpasteurized farm-stand apple juice this fall and put it in the fridge to store while I decided what to do with it. A couple weeks later I noticed the plastic jug starting to bulge and so I opened it to let the pressure out, and kept it cold while a lively ferment commenced. I tasted it and it is very good. I hope I've captured a wild strain that I can cultivate and continue to use.
Exact thing happened to me last year when I got unpasteurized cider for a "wild graff." Only took a day or two (in my fridge) before it was visibly fermenting. I couldn't believe it.

Brettanomyces & Wild Yeast T-Shirts
How Many Hop Varieties Are in the Best IPAs? - A Statistical Analysis
Bear Flavored's Ultimate Guide to Hop Varieties
Culturing Conan, the Heady Topper Yeast

Old 12-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #9
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by othellomcbane View Post
Exact thing happened to me last year when I got unpasteurized cider for a "wild graff." Only took a day or two (in my fridge) before it was visibly fermenting. I couldn't believe it.
I'm pleased that the aroma and flavor are very nice, and I speculate that if there were bacteria in it, the cold environment kept them at bay until the yeast population took over. I plan to rack it off the minor amount of solids on the bottom and use some of the liquid to inoculate a sterile bottle filled with pasteurized but otherwise natural juice, as a means of keeping the sample while I can get some other juices going with it. We'll see!

Old 12-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2187 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 2169

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
Well, not all yeast comes from a store/lab. The sacc strain(s) I use extensively came from juniper berries, The sour strain(s) I use came from my cellar. So that's the reason I would call it "wild", although all yeast(s)/bacterium at least started in the wild at some time, most commercial yeasts/bacterium have been altered in some way from it's original "capture", or "discovery".

I also have an "airbourne" sacc strain (or more) that will spontaneously ferment wort in my brewhouse, this may be commercial or wild, or both, I'll never know.
Then you sir, are in a tiny minority. An extremely cool minority. With the unseasonably warm weather we're having, I'm tempted to leave some wort overnight and see what happens. I know it will ferment, just worried that all the bread, flour, and farm microbia won't make the best beer. Wait a minute, that sounds perfect!

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Quick Reply