Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Using plastic carboy for sour wort berliner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
Joeneugs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Using plastic carboy for sour wort berliner

I’m planning on running off my mash into a plastic carboy and then throwing in some grain and souring it up for a couple days… will this infect the carboy and make it unusable for clean beers? I’m thinking yes, but want to confirm.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 591 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 160

From everything I have read about sours is to keep all the equipment, especially plastics, separate.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
mysteryshrimp
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 140

I can confirm that plastic doesn't always get infected with sour bugs, but it does happen often enough that you shouldn't try to put a clean beer in there after a sour. I have two plastic buckets, tubing, a bottling bucket, etc, that will never see clean beer again.

You could do a sour mash, then boil and proceed as usual. That basically makes a non-infected berliner weisse. I I wouldn't try it with any other sour, but berliners aren't trying to get that many complexities.

Primary: Too many sours to mention.
Aging: Mead, Flanders Red, Belgian Dark.
Serving: Too many to mention. Dry Cider, East Coast IPA and Old Ale are my current standards.
BJCP ID: F0785, Certified Judge

Old 08-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Joeneugs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryshrimp View Post
You could do a sour mash, then boil and proceed as usual. That basically makes a non-infected berliner weisse. I I wouldn't try it with any other sour, but berliners aren't trying to get that many complexities.
That's a great suggestion, but I have a keggle as a mash tun so it would be hard to seal it up during the sour mash.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
mysteryshrimp
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 140

It doesn't need to be air-tight. Saran Wrap the handles, put a flat piece of plastic, wood, metal, or cardboard on the top. If you're at all interested in sour/wild beers, read Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow. There are so many things in Belgian Breweries that would give heart attacks to health inspectors over here.

For my first Berliner, I fermented in a keg that I had no immediate need for. Stainless doesn't get infected as easily, and is much easier to sanitize if it does harbor something.

Primary: Too many sours to mention.
Aging: Mead, Flanders Red, Belgian Dark.
Serving: Too many to mention. Dry Cider, East Coast IPA and Old Ale are my current standards.
BJCP ID: F0785, Certified Judge

Old 08-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2151 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeneugs
I’m planning on running off my mash into a plastic carboy and then throwing in some grain and souring it up for a couple days… will this infect the carboy and make it unusable for clean beers? I’m thinking yes, but want to confirm.
Whether or not you need to use separate equipment for clean and wild beers on the homebrew scale is often debated, you'll have to decide for yourself.

I'd be a lot more concerned that mashing out into a better bottle will probably melt it.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Quick Reply