storing blending beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MileHighBrewer

Reaction score
How are you guys storing acid beers that'll be used for blends later? I had one go straight tooth melter that will be used to bring the sour up on future blends....but I'm not sure how I should store this stuff. Kinda want the carboy back, but I also am not sure about dedicating a corny.....

Thoughts on maybe gallon glass jugs? Cap screwed on and stored cold?

Ideally, I'd store it in a keg under pressure in a cool location. I would think the glass jugs would work, though.

A corny is ideal but a glass jug works to, the advantage of the corny is you dont have to protect from light.

Hard bung in glass always scares me, even when its fermented out.

Maybe 1/2 gal growlers then? I plan to store them cool anyways, and dark, but brown glass might be extra precaution. Plus that gives me more small bottles to blend with and not worry about having half empty jars.

I'm just limited on corny space

I would advise against storing them in 1/2 gallon growlers. The smaller the vessel, the more surface area and oxygen exposure. If an airlock goes dry or you get suckage from a temperature drop, it will have a deeper effect than if you had it in a carboy. Better bottle with the expensive waterless Dry Trap airlocks is a great, worry-free way to go if you can't keep the temperature steady at all times to avoid water suckage.

Back