Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Roselare yeast blend question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

excellent I'm going for like a ducess de bourgogne type flanders so I guess I should leave it for awhile.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 AM   #12
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I guess I answered my own question when I emailed Wyeast about the species of Brett in Roselare blend, and this turned into a discussion on what to do with the beers that we all have sitting in this blend.

So, it seems like I need to ask another question along those lines. I was wondering if anyone has transferred about 1/2 of their Roselare batch into a small carboy to age on whatever (fruit, oak, bourbon/whiskey, etc..) and then topped up the original Roselare batch with some fresh wort. I was looking at doing something along those lines because I can't seem to find a used wine/whiskey/rum/bourbon barrel to use as a solera. Just wondering if anyone has done it and what results you had.

Cheers!

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Old 10-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

I re-pitch on to the old yeast cake and add a bit of Sacc yeast since that has died off in the year between batches.

The solera method will work, but I think you would get better results from keeping batches separate and then blending different aged batches.
For example, every 6 months you could just rack the beer off the yeast into another keg/carboy and then add more wort + Sacc yeast. Within a 2 yrs you would have 4 batches that would give you some great diversity to blend with. Obviously, the downside is you need more carboys and space.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #14
anicola
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I have a 6.5 gal better bottle Roeselare 'solera' going. Started 10 months ago with Jamil flanders red and 1 pack of Wyeast Roeselare. After 3 months I added 2 lbs of tart Boysen Berries. At 6 months i racked n bottled 2 gal and topped off with 2 gal of fresh flanders red wort. At 7 months i added another 1.5 lb boysen berries and a couple of handfuls of oak cubes cut from a Jack Daniels barrel stave i brought back from Sturgis. Last month (9th). I racked and kegged 3 gals and added 1 gal of a Shakespeare Stout that had been in the fridge for several months and .5 lb cane sugar.
So far it has produced excellent tart complex brews. When it stops doing so, i'll dump it and start fresh.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
gizmodog51
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

williams brewing supplies uses this yeast with their extract kit and has a wine yeast to pitch in the secondary.

the more it ages the more pronounced the sour effect. i chose not to pitch the wine yeast and drafted it early.

drafted after a month and it was somewhat dry with a pleasurable tartness.

G.D.51

Old 10-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
Shift
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just cracked open my first bottle brewed with the roselare, brewed in august 2011 and bottled a week ago. The taste is towards the tart cherry region rather than the dirty horse. When I drew a sample during spring 2012 it smelled good but the flavor was really lacking. 2 months ago the situation was the same, but a month after that some magic had happpened and suddenly it was the best beer I've brewed.

Bottles: Flanders Red 2011, ESB
In primary(s): Dirty Belgian dark strong, Flanders Red 2012, Marris Otter Barleywine, Kitchen-cleaning-Porter
Long term carboy:

Old 10-13-2012, 01:43 AM   #17
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Just cracked open my first bottle brewed with the roselare, brewed in august 2011 and bottled a week ago. The taste is towards the tart cherry region rather than the dirty horse. When I drew a sample during spring 2012 it smelled good but the flavor was really lacking. 2 months ago the situation was the same, but a month after that some magic had happpened and suddenly it was the best beer I've brewed.
That's great! I think the bugs have different time frames for when they want to work. I've read that it goes in cycles, where one type will produce some kind of flavor/aroma and then another takes over to produce some more complexity. I'm looking forward to tasting my Roselare beer next year sometime.

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Old 10-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 22

the good people of roeselare have asked me to be a pedant and correct the spelling of their town name wherever i find it wrongly spelled. it's a busy job on this forum for some reason!! (oe is pronounced 'ooh' btw)

pedantry aside i am working on my first ever beer with roeselare blend, and have really enjoyed sneaking tastes as the flavors change and develop

Old 10-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
excellent I'm going for like a ducess de bourgogne type flanders so I guess I should leave it for awhile.
Probably will have to brew a fresh batch to blend with if you are going for something like the duchess. It is much sweeter than most flanders red and most of our home brewed sours will be drying out pretty dam good.

Quick Reply