Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Quick (ish) Flanders?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
sockmerchant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Quick (ish) Flanders?

Before I get all the "There's no such thing!"comments, just hear me out

I currently have two oud bruins and flanders red doing its thing... slowly. I also have some brett saison etc etc.

So, while i am waiting for these slow pokes to turn into something... I have been thinking of doing a sour mash with a brown ale, then fermenting it using Wyeast's brett lambicus.

That way I get a bit of control over the amount of lactic acid, and then the brett should give that yummy cherry pie that I so love.

IE, it should equate to something along the lines of an oud bruin within 6 months

Thoughts?

I have contemplated using a second brett to add more complexity (I have whitelabs brett C and trois)... but i might hold off on that.

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Pogopunx82
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If this helps I did a berliner weisse like beer of a flemish red recipie. Just piched a handful of grain and some dregs and it was tart as hell. I have most of it saved up in a keg to blend with my other flemishs when they are ready, as I think it would be a nice blending base for them.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
mysteryshrimp
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 140

At a comp last week I had an American Pale that I'm pretty sure just had lactic acid added to it. It had no funk rather than over-the-top sourness, but it was nearly as good as a Petrus Pale (brewed by Brouwerij Bavik). I'm seriously considering trying this.

Primary: Too many sours to mention.
Aging: Mead, Flanders Red, Belgian Dark.
Serving: Too many to mention. Dry Cider, East Coast IPA and Old Ale are my current standards.
BJCP ID: F0785, Certified Judge

sockmerchant Likes This 
Old 03-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Cool.

I'm waiting for my rye saison (with brett) to be bottled, then I'm going to try it. I suspect it will yield good results.

It will be as sour as i want it to be, and will still get some of the cool funky fruity stuff that brett can give.

Its still not quick really... But it should get me a decent flanders (ish) beer in half the normal time. Maybe even three months. Will need to see how it goes.

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 03-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
Wahoo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've always wondered if a brett-fermented beer (either with, or without sacc), that had lactic acid added before packaging, would be a good way to do a poor man's flemish-style beer.

Paul Zocco, from Zok's homebrew shop in CT does a "Rodenzok" which I believe has no brett but rather is fermented clean with lactic acid and sour cherry juice added to it. I've had it at beer festivals and it's good, quick, but doesn't have any funk. I think adding brett to that process would be worth a try.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #6
kwadric
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I'd say give it a shot. I've done a Belgian Wit recipe that I fermented with a handful of grain at 100F for seven days and then pitched WL Brux. That beer came out a bit too lactic (should have gone more like three days) and I did not get much Brett funk at all. It tasted a lot like like my Berliner (which I did a 3 day WL Lacto ferment at 100F and then heated the beer to 180F before pitching Sac) except for a very subtle Brett funk note. Of course the Flanders grain bill is quite different than a Belgian Wit.

Brett as the primary strain ferments a lot cleaner than when used as a secondary strain. You might be better off to do the Lacto Ferment, pitch Sac, and then add the Brett once the Sac finished up. I'm not sure.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:27 AM   #7
redbone
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

How did this go?

Old 04-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #8
sockmerchant
Recipes 

My fermenters are all tied up so havent had a chance. I started a wyeast lacto starter yesterday. Brew day will be Thursday or Friday next week.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
redbone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmerchant View Post
My fermenters are all tied up so havent had a chance. I started a wyeast lacto starter yesterday. Brew day will be Thursday or Friday next week.
Great! I was hoping that it wasn't a dead project.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
redbone
Recipes 

Depending on your success I have plans to do a similar thing. I have a proven brown sour recipe (oud bruin) that I wanted to ferment like you would a berliner by throwing 5335 and incubating at 90F for 5-7 days.... then throw some 1007, roselare blend, and french oak cubes at it. The plan would be to keg it in about 2 months and then bottle from the keg allowing it to age in the bottles and start drinking them as they age.

Quick Reply