Pitching Kriek Dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
There's no downsides to pitching kriek dregs into pale wort that will be soured, but not intended for fruit itself, is there?

I can't get much for sours around here, let alone non-pasteurized. I wanted to get a bottle of the one good lambic that I can acquire. They didn't have the straight lambic, only the kriek. I'm sure it will be good, so I expect I'll pitch it. But is there anything that's different or worth consideration because it's a fruit beer?

There's no downsides to pitching kriek dregs into pale wort that will be soured, but not intended for fruit itself, is there?

I can't get much for sours around here, let alone non-pasteurized. I wanted to get a bottle of the one good lambic that I can acquire. They didn't have the straight lambic, only the kriek. I'm sure it will be good, so I expect I'll pitch it. But is there anything that's different or worth consideration because it's a fruit beer?

No worries about the fruit, go for it!

No worries about the fruit, go for it!

Thanks. That's what I figured, but I thought I'd throw the question out there. Pitching kriek dregs just seemed/seems less ideal than pitching straight lambic dregs.

What beer?

It'll be a golden American sour. It's got domestic 2-row, some light Munich, some torrified wheat, and some caramel/crystal malt. I'll be pitching The Yeast Bay Melange as the primary, and the dregs are for some extra diversity.

It'll be a golden American sour. It's got domestic 2-row, some light Munich, some torrified wheat, and some caramel/crystal malt. I'll be pitching The Yeast Bay Melange as the primary, and the dregs are for some extra diversity.

I meant, what beer is the Kriek that you plan to use the dregs from.

Thanks. That's what I figured, but I thought I'd throw the question out there. Pitching kriek dregs just seemed/seems less ideal than pitching straight lambic dregs.

I would think that if anything the opposite would be true. It depends on how they made it. For example, if they aged the beer 3 years then put the fruit on it, that fruit might have revitalized the bugs in the beer one last time before hitting the shelves. All in all it shouldn't make a difference though.

I'm not sure what Calder is getting at, but you should make sure that the beer isn't pasteurized. Hopefully this list helps: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/p/dreg-list.html

Ah, Calder, I obviously misinterpreted what you were asking. It is a bottle of LambickX from Vanberg et Famille. On the Mad Fermentationist's list he has LambickX being from Vanberg & DeWulf, so maybe the company has gone through a change of hands or something, but I'm sure it's good for dregs.

Ya, it was pretty good. We don't get much sour around here, and that was honestly my first true kriek. Very good. But I wish the funk that Vanberg et Famille's straight lambic has played through more in the kriek than it did.

Back