Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Howto: Capture Wild Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #511
drummerguysteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

That's a great looking beer. I'm going to try this yet again this weekend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #512
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

ssf,

That is freaking fantastic....that's a beautiful looking beer. I have yet to capture any wild yeast yet, I'm not giving up yet tho.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #513
mhenry41h
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Agreed, that is a pretty beer! I'm still kicking around what base style to try with my "hometown wild yeast."

Fermenting: Lambic and Dry Orange Blossom Mead
Conditioning: Brett Drei Golden Strong
Next: Nut Brown, Wee Heavy, & Rye IPA
Drinking: Brett - Aussie Blonde, Black IPA, Belgian Stout, Munich Helles

Follow My Brewing Excursions at:

www.draconianlibations.blogspot.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Draconian-Libations/258343357538490

Old 06-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #514
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhenry41h View Post
Agreed, that is a pretty beer! I'm still kicking around what base style to try with my "hometown wild yeast."
I've been kicking around the idea of putting some plates or some wort out at Strites Orchard off 322 near the East Shore Walmart/Sams on 322. They have cherry trees, apples and tons of other fruit. Should be a great place for getting yeast.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #515
shmEk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Recently I poured up a batch similar to Edwort's Apfelwein (it's going great). I had one gallon of apple juice left over, and did pop the top for a bit, but can't recall why. About a week later maybe I noticed the juice on the floor with the container so expanded it looked it would pop any second... plastic was stretched in spots.."scary."

I cracked it up to breath and figured I must have contaminated it with some yeast from the Apfelwein.. but it is behaving NOTHING like it, so I have no idea what got into the jug. It originally produced quite a bit of foam, and left some sludge on the side and seems much more calmed down.

I'm not sure if this is bacterial or what's in there. Any comments from the wealth of knowledge going around this thread would be great to hear. I figured I was going to toss the jug eventually and still probably, but this thread seems to great maybe I have something in there worth checking on more.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #516
mhenry41h
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole

I've been kicking around the idea of putting some plates or some wort out at Strites Orchard off 322 near the East Shore Walmart/Sams on 322. They have cherry trees, apples and tons of other fruit. Should be a great place for getting yeast.
That's a great idea! Back home in Juniata County, my family owns a hollow that I've hiked and hunted on since I was a kid. There is a natural spring at the foot of the mountain so I'm considering taking some wort up there and letting it sit at the spring for the day. In the evening I'll get some water from the spring and hopefully some wild yeast! A sentimental beer!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #517
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I live on a 100+ year old farm, lots of unused barns, animal shelters, old attics etc that haven't been used since the 60's - should be lots of wild yeast floating around I reckon. Next time I brew I'll place some jars all over the place.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #518
Rossnaree
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
The only caution I'd mention is that if they use any fungicide in their spray program, provided that they have a spray/pesticide program, that is, you probably won't be getting anything along the lines that you may want or think should be there. You may instead find that bacteria are more prominent, especially acetobacter. Most fungicide applications are by season, and not always the same product each season. Yeasts get killed along with the other stuff. Just a thought. Might be worth asking them, and maybe even getting a short ways upwind of the prevailing wind direction and you may have better results, IDK.

Some knowledge will never be shared, not from a desire to conceal it, but because it is so common to the individual that it is assumed to be already known.

Primary: Chardonel
Secondary: Apfelwein, Chambourcin, Blackstone Pond American Ale, King of the North, Concord, 2nd wine from pulp of both
Bottled: Bavarian Hefeweizen, Dortmunder, King of the North (2010), Apfelwein (2010), Lesser Wilderness Mead (2010), King of the North (2nd wine - 2010)

Old 06-25-2011, 04:24 AM   #519
drummstikk
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I'm learning to catch wild yeast along with the rest of all of us. I am no expert, but I'm a biology grad student, and I think we should be thinking of yeast as something that doesn't exactly float around in the air or hide out in old barns.

Instead, I think we should really think of it as a bug that travels from one source of natural sugar to another. Mostly, Saccharomyces has been found in nature around hardwood trees that have been leaking sweet sap, and on sweet fruits and fruit flies. It certainly has some spores in the air, no doubt. But a much more significant source of wild yeast will be the insects that are naturally attracted to very sweet things.

For example, you leave your wort outside overnight. Any type of insect that visits your wort is the type that loves sugar. It will also have just visited any other rotting fruit in your neighborhood, and maybe any sweet tree sap that is exposed, bathing in the wild yeast growing there. It will bring all those yeast, along with a ton of bacteria, to your wort.

This doesn't mean that if you put a fine mesh over your wort that it won't ferment. Yeast make spores for a reason -- so they can survive drying out. Surely there is yeast in the wind. I just think that prime yeast-catching habitats are probably those near orchards in the Fall when fruit is ripe, and hardwood forests in the spring when the sweet sap is high.

Sorry for the total lack of evidence -- this is just my opinion and I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong if someone has looked into it more carefully!

Old 06-26-2011, 01:24 AM   #520
mhenry41h
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Well drummstickk, your logic sure seems good!

Quick Reply