The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Have you ever had a beer get "sick"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
Waylit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Have you ever had a beer get "sick"

Have you had a sour beer get sick ? If so, what were the characteristics of the beer. Appearance, texture, consistency etc. and how long it takes for the beer to become well again? Is this always caused by Pedio ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It's funny that I should happen across this thread tonight. I just checked a sour belgian dark strong on cherries, and it has gone very viscous. It's not "ropey", like you typically hear people talking about. Maybe it'll get there... I don't know.

I fermented with the ECY Bugfarm IV, which I know has at least one pedio. I'll certainly try to remember to update with the progress of the beer!

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 11-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 10

How long did it take? I am using the new ECY20 strain in a saison. I wanted to see how the stuff acted in a "quick" beer before using it in a big funky brown with purple maize.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
killsurfcity
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i've had three beers go ropey from pedio. all of them had bugfarm 4 in them, incidentally. from my understanding it's pedio's defensive reaction to too much oxygen during transfer, and the brett (if you have any) will eat up the proteins that form the ropiness after a while. in my case it took the average 3-4 months to clear out. like all things sour, patience is a virtue. all three beers improved dramatically once the ropiness faded.

Quick Reply