Ecy03-b

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearfoot

Reaction score
Hopefully I am not being redundant with a new thread on this strain, but I am looking for some additional information on this isolate and what you all have been doing with it. It's been for sale for two weeks or so at Love2Brew so I picked one up now it needs a home.

My first inclination is to use this as a conditioning strain for some of the bigger belgians working through my system. One is a tripel, the other a strong golden, both of which I would love to bottle condition.

Ideas?

I just picked up some of this from love2brew myself...might have got the last of it? Now it says out of stock. Would also like some guidance on how to best utilize this.

I also bought a bottle of this that I plan to use in a saison. We need to keep this thread updated so that we can compare results.

I've used ECY03 a good 6-7 times over the last 2+ years, which is blend of what you guys bought plus one of Al's Saisons strains. People seemed to be more interested in the Brett strain than the blend, I am in that camp but I have been repitching the slurry along with WLP565 with great results.

I believe the Brett is a Fantome isolate, hence the "spooky" in the description. I have used it in varying Saison worts over time, Rye, Wheat, Spelt, Malted Sunflower seeds etc. It can give you a funky, fruity beer pretty quickly. I have a 6% Saison with it in bottles for 2 years as of January and it has a nice acidity to it, dry, fruity and refreshing. As a secondary fermenter, I usually pitch the Brett with the Sacch from the start, the beer will be finished pretty quickly.

I'm wondering if anyone has done a 100% brett beer with this and trois together? i did a 100% trois pale ale that was really good, wonder how this would change it...

I co-pitched this with Wyeast 3711 on a 1.062 Wort and it went crazy....after only a week it is already at 1.004.....has good flavor but I will be letting this sit for at least another 3 weeks before I move it to a secondary

So far so good. It even inspired me to go ahead and order some ECY01 for my first real sour.

I've used ECY03 a good 6-7 times over the last 2+ years, which is blend of what you guys bought plus one of Al's Saisons strains. People seemed to be more interested in the Brett strain than the blend, I am in that camp but I have been repitching the slurry along with WLP565 with great results.

I believe the Brett is a Fantome isolate, hence the "spooky" in the description. I have used it in varying Saison worts over time, Rye, Wheat, Spelt, Malted Sunflower seeds etc. It can give you a funky, fruity beer pretty quickly. I have a 6% Saison with it in bottles for 2 years as of January and it has a nice acidity to it, dry, fruity and refreshing. As a secondary fermenter, I usually pitch the Brett with the Sacch from the start, the beer will be finished pretty quickly.

Any idea how long it took for the brett notes to really start to show? I've got a couple saisons that I brewed in the last few weeks with this strain and I'm curious as to how long it took for the brett to really shine as Al says it takes a matter of weeks on his website.

Back