Concord Grapes in sour beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmich24

Reaction score
I have a ton of ripe Concord Grapes growing in my back yard.

Instead of adding my normal 10 pounds of tart cherries to my beer I thought Concord Grapes might be a nice substitute.
Anyone have experience with grapes?
Would I still use 2 pounds per gallon?
Leave the beer on the grapes for 4-8 weeks?
TIA

I've got something similar going on, except I have Riesling grapes that I'm using. I'm going .5 to 1 lb per gallon, but Riesling has more flavor coming through. Also my base beer is a saison...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm sure they would make a good sour beer, but I would be afraid of tannins from the skins and seeds. I'd either juice them or only leave the beer on the fruit for a few days. I have about 5 lbs of V. riparia that I plan on doing this with. I think I'm just going to crush the fruit and leave the beer on it for 3 days. Hopefully that's enough time to extract flavor without tannins.

Cantillon makes two grape Lambics. One is a red grape and one is a white grape. Bother are excellent. I believe they age them on fruit for around 2 months.

We have done several batches on grapes that turned out great. We used about 2 lbs/gallon for 3 months before bottling. I thought the tannins were complementary.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's funny, I actually just half an hour ago racked a sour red ale onto 10# of concords (coronation). We'll see in 3 months how it turns out!

Back