BW Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
Made a BW about a month ago with the WL BW blend, it is sitting in primary right now with a pretty decent little pellicle on it. Smell went from nice and sour to kind of gross and sour-ish. General timeline for this strain to finish out?

Sour beers are hard to predict. I haven't used that blend, but I have a couple sours going with White Labs Lacto that have been staying more sulfury than I'd like even after a few months. Give it some time, without Brett it shouldn't need more than a couple months, and try not to worry too much!

I know, lol. I should have been more clear, is the beer in a "Sick" phase and will it drop out is what I should have asked. It just seems like the wort is still full of yeast/bugs? Thanks for chiming in Oldsock!

"Sick" is a very particular condition where lactic acid bacteria (usually Pedio) produces exocellular polysaccharides that give the beer an almost mucilagenous texture. It doesn't affect the smell of the flavor at the time.

Hard to say what the issue is with your beer without a better descriptor than "gross." Sulfury, funky, meaty, etc.?

Ok, thanks for the clarification on the sickness, wasn't sure about that. That is not what is going on w this beer. I'll check it again later tonight and post the best description I can. Thanks Oldsock.

Back