Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Boots Pressure Barrel for souring?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Default Boots Pressure Barrel for souring?

Hi all, I won a 30 year old Boots Pressure Barrel in a raffle last year and had been wondering what to do with it. What I've come up with is using it as a vessel for souring beers/aging on fruit. I have no interest in serving from this barrel, but and curious if anyone has used a Pressure Barrel (equipped with airlock, of course!) for souring? It is made from a plastic which has me wondering about oxygen transfer through the material. I'm ok with a little bit of oxygen transfer, as that would occur if I had a wooden barrel, right? I just don't want the extent of the transfer to be as high as that of a plastic bucket.

Thanks!

img_5253.jpg  
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
barrooze
Recipes 

Well, with all the insight provided (:P) I'm going to just go for it. I've grown a 2L starter of WLP645 for a week and am ready for my trial run. I did a 10gallon split batch of saison using WLP585 and Danstar Belle Saison. I'm going to put 2 gallons of each in this Pressure Barrel with 0.5-1oz of oak cubes and the decanted starter of my Brett Claussenii. I figure leaving it be for about 6 months will give me the Brett character I'm looking for. What do you all think?

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18

Old 01-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 718 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 277

sounds like a plan!

i would fill it pretty full, like up to the neck, to limit how much O2 the beer is exposed to, and how much air gets sealed in there (which might contain acetobacter).

what's the total volume of this thing, 4 gallons? i'm wondering if an ounce of oak for 6 months might be a bit much.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 01-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
barrooze
Recipes 

The total volume is actually over 6.5gallons. I didn't want to do the full thing as I still want to keep most of the 10 gallons unbugged. I'll definitely be purging it with CO2 prior to racking to keep any acetobacter infection minimized. I was actually initially going to use 2oz of oak cubes, but someone else commented on that might be too much as well. I'll probably just do about half an ounce. I thought it would add a nice dimension and also give the brett something to chew on.

Quick Reply