Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Black Pearl Porter (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #281
mmcouch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know it's getting a little warm for this one but I've brewed a lot of APAs and such lately. Going to do. 2.5 gallon batch. Where is everyone getting the lactose and maltodextrine? Can you pick these up at the grocery if not at the LHBS? Also this will be my first half batch. How much yeast should I pitch? Entire smack pack or dry? Thanks and really looking forward to brewing this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #282
Groner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcouch
I know it's getting a little warm for this one but I've brewed a lot of APAs and such lately. Going to do. 2.5 gallon batch. Where is everyone getting the lactose and maltodextrine? Can you pick these up at the grocery if not at the LHBS? Also this will be my first half batch. How much yeast should I pitch? Entire smack pack or dry? Thanks and really looking forward to brewing this.
You should be able to get those at any LHBS. The grocery store? Probably not so much...

Also, I would just pitch the whole packet of yeast, wet or dry.

I probably needed a starter (but didn't make one) for the 5 gallon version of this and the fermentation stopped early. One packet should be fine for 2.5 gals.

Tap 1: Special Agent IPA
Tap 2: Centennial Blonde v. 1.0
Tap 3: Centennial Blonde v. 2.0
Tap 4: RyePA
Tap 5: Dead Ringer IPA
Tap 6: Empty

Old 07-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #283
mmcouch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yea I found everything at the LHBS. This turned out really great. The white labs London ale yeast worked great, too...most compact yeast cake I've ever seen. Will brew another AG 2.5 gallon batch soon and throw in some coffee beans after primary.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #284
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Any thoughts on using Northern Brewer or Perle for hops instead of Fuggles. Looking to get a little mint aroma/flavor into this? How many of either of those hops would anybody suggest. I would prefer the mintyness from the hops to be prevalent but not overpowering, I would also prefer not to use mint extracts, or have to worry about putting mint in the secondary as it doesn't seek like results are consistent with those methods.

I'm looking at this for the holidays so many non craft beer drinkers would try it so if you do truly get mint from those hops, I have yet to use either, it can be a little more pronounced as these people won't have the palet's to pick up on it if it's subtle.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #285
Roughster
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Does anyone know if this beer is a slow starter for fermentation? I followed the recipe to the "T" and it just started slowly bubbling this morning over 48 hours later. Curious if this is normal for this beer?

Not stressed about it, just curious what others experiences are with how quickly this starts fermenting.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #286
sfgoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Yeah it is normal I've had some yeasts take up to 72 hours to take off.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #287
Roughster
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It finally picked up to a good sub-1 sec per bubble in the blowoff tube after about 72 hours. So looks like I am on track and fermentation is going strong! Really looking forward to this one!

Old 08-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #288
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

My gravity at pitching was 1.074. I had a little less than 5 gallon of wort, maybe 4.8. I feel like maybe I should pitch more yeast... I got a pack of dry Nottingham, HBS guy said it is similar enough to #1028.

Think I should pitch it?

Old 08-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #289
dhadley
Recipes 

Quick question(maybe). I am confused about the amount of water used for sparging. I see that 4.06 gal. of 170* water is added to the full grain bill to bring it to 158*. Then, after 45 min, I will add 2.5 gal 206* water to bring the total to 6.56 gal of 175* water. However, doesn't my grain retain its weight in water? If so, when I drain this out of my mash tun, won't I be missing 13 lbs of wort? And don't I want to start at 7gal preboil to end at 5 gal of wort? Am I missing something or am I supposed to just keep rinsing the grain until I have reached my 7 gal mark?

Old 08-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #290
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhadley View Post
Quick question(maybe). I am confused about the amount of water used for sparging. I see that 4.06 gal. of 170* water is added to the full grain bill to bring it to 158*. Then, after 45 min, I will add 2.5 gal 206* water to bring the total to 6.56 gal of 175* water. However, doesn't my grain retain its weight in water? If so, when I drain this out of my mash tun, won't I be missing 13 lbs of wort? And don't I want to start at 7gal preboil to end at 5 gal of wort? Am I missing something or am I supposed to just keep rinsing the grain until I have reached my 7 gal mark?
I've found that in my system, the grain absorption is about 0.12 gallons per pound of grain, YMMV of course. So for a 10 pound grain bill, that would be 1.2 gallons of water lost to absorption. If my pre-boil volume is 7 gallons, then I would start with 8.2 total gallons of water, split between mash water and sparge water.

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Quick Reply