Where can I buy grains by the ounce?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
Unfortunately, my LHBS... sucks! First off, they prefer to measure out all the grains, and they're nowhere near as neurotic as I am, usually overshooting the amount by up to an oz, sometimes 2... ugh. Well, the latest batch I brewed, a seemingly well designed porter, had an SRM closer to 14 than the original 24 I had planned. It became clear the 10 oz of Carafa that was supposed to be in the recipe was completely left out. This is not the first time this has happened.

So... I've decided to start doing my shopping online. While Northern Brewer is one of my favorites sites, offering an awesome variety of malt, they sell by the pound. I don't currently mill my own grain and would prefer to purchase exactly what I need. I found a website a few months back that sold by the ounce, but I forgot what it was called. Anyone else have any recommendations??

Cheers!

I believe Austin Homebrew Supply sells by the oz. or at least by the half pound. Really though you won't save much by buying a half pound vs. a pound. You will probably save 50 cents...maybe. I would just continue to buy in 1 lb increments from Northern Brewer. Have it crushed and measure out what you need. Put the rest in some zip locks and then some tupperware. I wouldn't worry about the grain going bad and if it does....so you are out a few ounces of grain and some loose change.

Rebel Brewer has a lot of specialty malts which go for around $.12 per ounce. Not all, but some. It might be worth checking them out, too.

Latest posts

Back