Wheat beer with WLP001?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
So I have a beautiful yeast cake from an ESB I'm about to rack to Secondary and I was wondering what I would end up with if I poured in a fresh batch of wheat wort. Would the flavors be too different? Just curious.

I think you'd get a classic "American wheat," which will be a beer without a great deal of character (since the character in a hefeweizen really pretty-much all comes from the yeast.)

I agree, you'd have a Wheat beer, but not a hefeweizen. Just me, but I'd call it an improvement.

david_42 said:
I agree, you'd have a Wheat beer, but not a hefeweizen. Just me, but I'd call it an improvement.
OUCH!!

Yeah, I'm a stickler for seperating a German Hefe Weizen from an American Wheat (not and American Hefe)...;)

There's nothing wrong with an American wheat though...just don't call it a hefe...:D

omniscientomar said:
So I have a beautiful yeast cake from an ESB I'm about to rack to Secondary and I was wondering what I would end up with if I poured in a fresh batch of wheat wort. Would the flavors be too different? Just curious.

Do you like wits? Have bitter orange peel and coriander on hand?

New Belgium makes what is essentially an American wheat flavored with OP and coriander like a wit. (I can't remember what it's called). It's a pretty good easy-drinking spring/summer beer.

cweston said:

New Belgium makes what is essentially an American wheat flavored with OP and coriander like a wit. (I can't remember what it's called). It's a pretty good easy-drinking spring/summer beer.

Hey, that's not a bad idea! I might just do that... just add OP & Coriander to the primary or the boil?

omniscientomar said:
Hey, that's not a bad idea! I might just do that... just add OP & Coriander to the primary or the boil?

Recipes usually have one addition to the boil for about 15 minutes and sometimes a second addition for 2-5 minutes. (Kindof like flavor and aroma hops).

If you look at wit recipes you'll get a pretty good idea how much to use. You'd basically be making a Wit but with a neutral american yeast strain.

cweston said:
What a coincidence. I've had my Belgian Wit (AG) ingredients sitting on the counter at home for two weeks. Come he!! or highwater...I'm brewing on Saturday.

I have an :off: question though:

I'm throwing in 3/4 Oz of crushed Coriander and Orange Peel Bitter with about 15-20 minutes of boil left.

Is that enough to impart the flavor? I am pretty particular about siphoning off clear wort from the boil pot (ala paint strainer + wort chiller). If I properly strain out the Coriander and Orange, am I shortchanging myself on flavors.

Thanks.

Back