What have I done?? I mean, really, what is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddles

Reaction score
I made a Kentucky Common a little while ago from a recipe. Got it bottled, had my little one-gallon fermenting jug empty, and a few leftover grains, and thought I'd see if I could experiment, go crazy, and use just leftovers.

So anyway, (Pardon my measurement of cups, etc, I don't have a scale...) I cooked up 3.75 cup Maris Otter, 0.75 cup Chocolate, and 1 cup Crystal 120.

Strained the wort, set it to boil, and 10 minutes into the boil dropped in 1/2 tsp whole cloves, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp pure bourbon vanilla extract, and 1/8 tsp pure peppermint extract. Man, it smelled like heaven, but I can definitely imagine it turning to ass-in-an-old-gym-sock after fermenting.

Also, at 25, 60, and 88 minutes into the 90 minute boil, I tossed in about a tsp of cluster hops.

This was a couple days ago. The blow off tube has nearly stopped spitting bubbles and--as if this brew wasn't ungodly enough--I'm thinking about dumping in some molasses to see if I can wake the yeast back to work and make this higher gravity.

Any suggestions on that? Anyway this turns into a nice winter brew (If albeit winter 2017 before it's mellowed to drinkability)? Any idea what this beer would be classified as? Are you scared of it?

Sounds like a highly spiced brown ale. In terms of BJCP categories, I guess it would be 21 (spice/herb/vegetable beer) or 23 (specialty beer). I'd be interested to hear how it comes out.

-Steve

Back