New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What is a double IPA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
aMillionDreams
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What is a double IPA?

In all my homebrewing books I can't find a definition of double IPA. Many double IPAs are too sweet for me, but I can't resist a good, super-hoppy double. So is there a technique that is unique to double IPAs? What the difference between an IPA and a Double IPA?

On deck: Pliny the Elder, Heather Ale
Fermenting: Strawberry Melomel, Imperial Belgian White, Pumpkin Ale
Carboy #1: Cream Ale
Carboy #2: Hoptoberfest
Carboy #3: Raspberry Melomel
Tap #1: Two Hearted Clone
Tap #2: Spiced Bourbon Stout
Tap #3: Raison D'Etre Clone
Bottled: Belgian Trippel, NB Farmhouse Saison Ale, Apfelwein, Duvel Clone, Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, JABM (Blackberry)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Roughly: double the hops, double the ABV.

You need a maltier beer to do a DIPA because of the higher ABV. You might want to look at a higher attenuating yeast to dry it out.

Or you might consider an IPA "extra" where you maybe increase the ABV by 50% and double the hops.

On deck: Barleywine, Dampfbier, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Rye-weizen, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Its also known as "Imperial IPA". Its basically a stronger, hoppier version of an IPA. American brewers "pushing the evelope" of an IPA. IPA stops around the 7.5% range. IIPA continues on up to around 10.5%. One of the biggest challenges of Imperial IPAs are to keep them dry and drinkable. Not an easy task with all that malt! Some people will use some table sugar to raise the ABV while keeping the FG low.

mmm...hopslam!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php#1c

Moylan's Hopsickle IMO is one of the best.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #5
kzoobrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The word "double" is not to be taken literally. A double IPA is merely an IPA with the ABV higher than normal for the style. To say that you double everything is often inaccurate. The only true commercial double I am aware of is Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree, which some describe as a triple IPA. When thinking double it is best to think imperial in this instance.

DIPA's can range from very sweet to dry and bitter. It sounds like you would prefer the bitter side of the spectrum, sugar can be added to help dry out the beer making for a less sweet more bitter final product.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I second the sugar suggestion, something like ~10% table sugar by extract is what I usually aim for. I also like to keep the crystal/caramel malt to a minimum to further reduce the sweetness. I don't go too high with the gravity, mid-low 1.070s is plenty, more than that and it may need too much time and you miss the fresh hoppy window and it starts tasting like a barleywine.

I like a bit of gypsum in the water/wort to up the sulfate content. Then just load in your favorite hops, ~100+ IBUs to bitter, a few ounce at flame out and a few ounces for dry hops usually does it (my last 5 gallon batch had 1 lb of hops). I like Simoce/Amarillo/Columbus, but there are loads of hops out there to try.

Ferment with a clean yeast like 001/1056 in the mid-60s, and force carbonate if you can (the sooner you are drinking it and the less oxygen exposure the better).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

Old 06-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
MULE
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How did your last batch turn out? A pound of hops for a five gallon batch sounds a bit intense.

On Deck: LD's Summer Ales, LD's IIPA

Old 06-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULE View Post
How did your last batch turn out? A pound of hops for a five gallon batch sounds a bit intense.
I got the chance to drink it side-by-side with a growler of Pliny the Younger, and the nose was nearly identical. The gravity/body was more along the lines of Pliny the Elder though, pretty drinkable for an 8% ABV beer. The problem is that it only stayed at that level for 2 months before the hops really start to fade (and that's considering the fact that there were hops in the keg).

Here is the recipe for anyone interested: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/02/big-ipa-recipe-1-lb-of-hops.html

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

Old 06-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
aMillionDreams
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Adding table sugar to reduce sweetness? I see I still have a LOT to learn!

Thanks for the responses. Is dogfishhead 90 considered a double IPA and 120 considered a triple? 120 is way too sweet for me but 90 min is one of my favorite brews.

On deck: Pliny the Elder, Heather Ale
Fermenting: Strawberry Melomel, Imperial Belgian White, Pumpkin Ale
Carboy #1: Cream Ale
Carboy #2: Hoptoberfest
Carboy #3: Raspberry Melomel
Tap #1: Two Hearted Clone
Tap #2: Spiced Bourbon Stout
Tap #3: Raison D'Etre Clone
Bottled: Belgian Trippel, NB Farmhouse Saison Ale, Apfelwein, Duvel Clone, Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, JABM (Blackberry)

Old 06-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
MULE
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for sharing. I've been apprehensive about using more than eight to nine ounces in a five gallon batch.

On Deck: LD's Summer Ales, LD's IIPA

Quick Reply