What can I make with...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhReally

Reaction score
Hello comrades-

After 9 or 10 batches of various styles, I now have some random bags of grain sitting around, and would love to use them up. Anyone have some extract recipe suggestions using the following?

11 oz. Crystal 60L
11 oz. Melanoidin
14 oz. Torrified Wheat
8 oz. Biscuit
5 oz. White Wheat
5 oz. Red Wheat
8 oz. Wheat (generically labeled)
8 oz. Munich
6 oz. Smoked

I also have a can (3.3 lbs.) Munton's Wheat LME and a bag (1 lb.) Breiss Golden Light DME.

I can buy more extract, sugars, and hops as needed. (I love the hoppier side of life)

I usually do steeping grains in 2.5 gallons of water, then a partial boil, topping the fermenter up to 5 gallons (then liquid yeast).

It seems to me that a lot of these ingredients would do well in the realm of a wheat-based beer, right?

Thanks for any and all suggestions, or even a general style to look into. Cheers! :mug:

Drinking: India Black Ale, Pumpkin Spice Porter, Nefarious Blonde

Hello comrades-

After 9 or 10 batches of various styles, I now have some random bags of grain sitting around, and would love to use them up. Anyone have some extract recipe suggestions using the following?

11 oz. Crystal 60L
11 oz. Melanoidin
14 oz. Torrified Wheat
8 oz. Biscuit
5 oz. White Wheat
5 oz. Red Wheat
8 oz. Wheat (generically labeled)
8 oz. Munich
6 oz. Smoked

I also have a can (3.3 lbs.) Munton's Wheat LME and a bag (1 lb.) Breiss Golden Light DME.

I can buy more extract, sugars, and hops as needed. (I love the hoppier side of life)

I usually do steeping grains in 2.5 gallons of water, then a partial boil, topping the fermenter up to 5 gallons (then liquid yeast).

It seems to me that a lot of these ingredients would do well in the realm of a wheat-based beer, right?

Thanks for any and all suggestions, or even a general style to look into. Cheers! :mug:

Maybe a Hoppy Wheat with all of the wheat that you have plus the Biscuit and Munich, and all the extract you have. Maybe go with a 60 minute boil and add about 4 oz. of Citra with 15 mins left in the boil as the only hop addition. Should give you about 35 IBUs. You might need to add a little Pale 2-row and do a partial mash because of the wheat and such. That small amount of Munich probably won't have enough enzymes to convert the rest of the grains.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up brewing on Sunday during the beginnings of the hurricane, so I threw a bunch of this stuff together and named it "Sandy Wheat". Unfortunately SWMBO doesn't like hoppy tastes at all, so I ended up using .5 oz. each of East Kent Goldings and UK Fuggles. This is a total experiment, and one that I know can be improved. I have no idea what it'll taste like. Recipe to follow.

Next time I will definitely try out the Citras like you suggest.

Back