Weyerbacher tiny clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtd_419

Reaction score
Received a bottle of tiny in a swap and find it to be delicious. Curious if anyone has tried to clone this one.

I contacted weyerbacher through their website and asked for help with a clone recipe, this was the response I received a couple of days later:

Since most homebrewers use a program to calculate recipes and each person has their own mash efficiencies I'll give it to you in Malt percentage, which they should be able to plug into their calculator for their particular setup

Muntons Pale * * 68%

Chocolate Malt * * 8%

Crystal Malt * * * * *5.4%

Carafa Special Type III * *5.4%

Flaked Oats * * * * 5.4%

Wheat Malt * * * * *5.4%

Rice Hulls (In Mash, not milled, to help with run-off) *2.4% or 1lb for up to 10 gallons

Approximately .5lbs of sugar per 5 gallons added preboil

Preboil gravity should be about 24.5 degrees Plato (with sugar)

Post Boil gravity should be about 26.5 degrees Plato

90 minute Boil

Hops:

At 60 Minutes from End of Boil

Bittering - Apollo @ 19.1 AA% approx. (.5oz for 5 gallon, 1oz for 10 gallon )

At Boils End

Aroma - Saaz @ 3.2 AA% approx ( .75oz for 5 gallon, 1.5oz for 10 gallon)

Fermentation:

Yeast: Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey, atleast 2 smack packs or make a starter

Oxygenate with stone if possible, otherwise use whatever means available

65 Degrees until primary fermentation is complete

Final Gravity Target: 6.25 deg Plato

After primary, rack off yeast or rack to secondary and lager at 50 degrees F for 2 weeks

Chill to 30 degrees for 1 week, Rack to serving vessel or bottling bucket for carbonation and packaging

Typical fermentation time from start to finish is usually 4 weeks

Good Luck!

Scott Bicksler

Lead Brewer

Weyerbacher Brewing Company

P)*610-559-5561

F)*610-559-7564

I can't believe how detailed the recipe provided was.... thank you scott and weyerbacher, I'll brew this in a couple of weeks and post results after that

wow!
just the fact that you got such a fantastic detailed respons makes me sad that i cannot get their beer.
does not mean i cannot brew one though

I can't get their beer either, I got one in a trade and wanted more.

When I asked them for help with a clone recipe I never expected to get the step by step recipe feom the lead brewer... I was thinking maybe a list of grains and hops and not much more but this was just unbelievable

This is one if my favorite brews. I keep it in the fridge. Had anyone attempted it? This may be one of my first imperial style stouts to try. Can't believe they bottle in only 4 weeks!

I'm in PA, so I have no problem finding Weyerbacher. All of the beers I've had from them are phenomenal. Good luck with the clone.

I brewed this up yesterday. It went well, except I accidently lost 3.5 pounds to the brew shop hopper. I don't think it's ever happened before, so honest mistake. The owner is a member here, and awesome, so I'm sure he'll make it right somehow. It happens.

Anyways, I went ahead since I had it all planned out. I added an extra .5 pound sugar to try and make up, along with an adjusted mash schedule. ..slightly. in the end I ended up with 1.091 instead of 1.117. Lost a couple abv percentage points, but it should still be one hell of a stout. The wort is happy. A little to happy. Last pic is during my blow off jar change.

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0304.jpg

IMAG0310.jpg

In for results! I love Weyerbacher beers. I have been collecting them this year as they come out. Insanity is the only one I couldn't get into. I've been drinking 1 or 2 and setting the rest back for aging. I'm looking forward to brewing this one.

76884A4C-2AD5-4816-BE16-883706B4CF8E_zpsjlyhmdvp.jpg

Jesus, how old is that heresy? !?!

So, that was my favorite beer. ..for about 6 months before they retired the recepie. It was then I had to move on to Tiny. I have been without, until 2 weeks ago when they pulled a reserve barrel of, heresy aged 360 days. It's on tap at the brewery, it is awesome. Enjoy that bottle.

Hey, a little hint. ..that Sunday morning stout. They sell it by the case in February. It sells out in 6 hours with people lining up for hours on Valentine's day. I talked to people there. ..it's the SAME RECEPIE as Tiny. The difference? They use American Ale yeast, rather than Belgium ale. Then of course, they age it with coffee in barrels. Or chocolate, expresso, or peppers, as they had 4 different SMS at this years release.

I'm a regular at the tap house. Probably the biggest reason I bought my house was because I am 3 miles from the brewery. El oh El, but not really. :smack:

When I bought that Heresy about a month ago, I assumed it was this year's release. I didn't realize they quit brewing it. Bummer! Definitely one of my favorites as well. Date on my 4pk is 2-17-15. I love Sunday Morning as well. I picked up a case at the distributor and a couple 4 pks. I didn't realize tiny was the same recipe.

Since you frequent the brewery maybe you can talk them into bringing Heresy back. Or at least give us the recipe. He he!

So how did your attempt of Tiny turn out Shineon?

Outstanding! I have made this probably 4 or 5 times now. It is the #1 beer on tap. I have hit the numbers almost perfectly every time, and it is exactly Tiny. I use Marris otter though, and chocolate wheat (dehusked, not bitter) in place of their equals in the recipe. But it's perfect. In FAAAAACT.....

They just held their first ever homebrew competition. I entered this base beer with chocolate and chipolte, and it took 3rd place overall! This was my first ever competiton to enter, so I was super stoked.

Truth be told, I brewed the competition beer in July. Let it age until November. In OCTOBER they released the same damn beer with peppers. It was a dead ringer for the beer I brewed for the competition (well, in fairness, I was brewing their clone and entering it back to them :rolleyes:). Could not believe it. So, being that the prize was to brew a batch on their equipment and have it served at the tap room...doesn't surprise me that it didn't win it, lol.

However, the master brewer for their new beer (Sunday Mole') was one of the ones that judged my beer, and placed it. He came up to me while the public pouring session was going on, and congratulated me. He said "That's my Mole'" you brewed. I laughed and explained the timing of it all and poor luck on my end, and he laughed. He said still, it did very well in the back, and I actually wished I had more of the flavor that you had come through.

Super big compliment, and I give this recipe raving reviews. It is an awesome beer, versitile, and you can change the chewy-ness based on the mash temp. This is a perfect big stout.

Going to put it in a barrel next year.:ban:

ShineOn, when I plug the recipe into beersmith the IBU's only come out to 19.7. Did you change the hop amounts at all from the recipe in the thread, or does the ABV give it a balance? I'm planning on trying this one soon, so any input would be appreciated.

I followed the recipe, kinda ignoring traditional ibu calcs. The beer is very balanced. I still have not gone a day without this on my draft.

Screenshot_20170608-203518.jpg

Screenshot_20170608-203530.jpg

Finally getting around to using this recipe to brew a Sunday Morning Stout Clone this weekend. Any words of advice? I’m using 1056 for yeast. Soaking oak cubes in bourbon for secondary and adding cold brewed coffee at bottling.

Latest posts

Back